Conditional Volatility Of Most Active Shares Of Casablanca Stock Exchange
Volatility plays an important role in the explanation of prices of securities and their derivatives as well as risk which are relative to them. The stock exchange of Casablanca constitutes a market meadow emergent of MEA zone for which the problem of volatility should not be underestimated for the causes of lack of the making in the order book. The introduction of the electronic system in 1998 allowed continuous quotation of a number restricted by securities liquidity of which does not seem even so important. We test in this paper the conditional volatility of a certain number of securities considered as active and which to be result from the MADEX index. Results show a certain asymmetric volatility of the major securities. The use of the asymmetric GARCH allowed us better to describe rough variations of prices provoked by large quantities traded in block market. These models throw back quadratic specification of the conditional variance lauded by GARCH standard models. Indeed, with regard to these last ones, exponential model GARCH and threshold GARCH have two advantages. While standard model GARCH puts that only the amplitude of shock and not the sign of the past residuals has an impact on the conditional variance, EGARCH and TGARCH models allows an asymmetric answer to shocks. Second advantage is that not conditional variance is discrete.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- DUFOUR, Jean-Marie, 2001.
"Logique et tests d'hypotheses: reflexions sur les problemes mal poses en econometrie,"
Cahiers de recherche
2001-15, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Jean-Marie Dufour, 2001. "Logiques et tests d'hypothèses : réflexions sur les problèmes mal posés en économétrie," CIRANO Working Papers 2001s-40, CIRANO.
- Dufour, J.M., 2001. "Logique et tests d'hypotheses: reflexions sur les problemes mal poses en econometrie," Cahiers de recherche 2001-15, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Drost, Feike C & Nijman, Theo E, 1993.
"Temporal Aggregation of GARCH Processes,"
Econometric Society, vol. 61(4), pages 909-27, July.
- Drost, F.C. & Nijman, T.E., 1990. "Temporal aggregation of GARCH processes," Discussion Paper 1990-66, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Drost, F.C. & Nijman, T.E., 1992. "Temporal Aggregation of Garch Processes," Papers 9240, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Drost, F.C. & Nijman, T.E., 1990. "Temporal Aggregation Of Garch Processes," Papers 9066, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Drost, F.C. & Nijman, T.E., 1992. "Temporal aggregation of GARCH processes," Discussion Paper 1992-40, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Stoll, Hans R & Whaley, Robert E, 1990. "Stock Market Structure and Volatility," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 3(1), pages 37-71.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Shane A. Corwin & Marc L. Lipson, 2000. "Order Flow and Liquidity around NYSE Trading Halts," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(4), pages 1771-1805, 08.
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-72, June.
- Tim BOLLERSLEV & Ray Y. CHOU & Narayanan JAYARAMAN & Kenneth F. KRONER, 1991. "Les modéles ARCH en finance : un point sur la théorie et les résultats empiriques," Annales d'Economie et de Statistique, ENSAE, issue 24, pages 1-59.
- Dacorogna, Michael M. & Muller, Ulrich A. & Nagler, Robert J. & Olsen, Richard B. & Pictet, Olivier V., 1993. "A geographical model for the daily and weekly seasonal volatility in the foreign exchange market," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 413-438, August.
- Geert Bekaert & Campbell R. Harvey & Christian Lundblad, 2000.
"Emerging Equity Markets and Economic Development,"
NBER Working Papers
7763, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bekaert, Geert & Harvey, Campbell R., 2003. "Emerging markets finance," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(1-2), pages 3-56, February.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," EERI Research Paper Series EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpfi:0305007. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.