Dollars, dialogue and development: an evaluation of Swedish program aid
How does aid affect recipient country economic performance? This study looks at programme aid (import support, budget support and debt relief) in nine countries (Bangladesh, Cape Verde, Ghana, Mozambique, Nicaragua, Tanzania, Uganda, Vietnam and Zambia), showing how aid has had an impact on both policy outcomes and macroeconomic aggregates such as investment and imports. The study is one of the few to look at how bilateral donors engage in policy conditionality, and the channels through which bilaterals seek to influence the policy of recipients. It also shows a way to analyse macroeconomic impact without resorting to flawed cross- country growth regressions.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aron, Janine & Elbadawi, Ibrahim A., 1992. "Parallel markets, the foreign exchange auction, and exchange rate unification in Zambia," Policy Research Working Paper Series 909, The World Bank.
- Mosley, Paul & Subasat, Turan & Weeks, John, 1995. "Assessing adjustment in Africa," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 23(9), pages 1459-1473, September.
- Xavier Sala-i-Martin, 1997.
"I just ran four million regressions,"
Economics Working Papers
201, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Henrik Hansen & Finn Tarp, 2000.
"Aid effectiveness disputed,"
Journal of International Development,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(3), pages 375-398.
- Dani Rodrik, 1996. "Understanding Economic Policy Reform," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 34(1), pages 9-41, March.
- Morris Goldstein & Peter Montiel, 1986. "Evaluating Fund Stabilization Programs with Multicountry Data: Some Methodological Pitfalls (Evaluation des programmes de stabilisation du Fonds Ã partir de donnÃ©es sur divers pays: quelques Ã©cueils," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 33(2), pages 304-344, June.
- White, Howard, 1994. "Foreign aid, taxes and public investment: A further comment," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 155-163, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpdc:0511012. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.