The Importance of the Oil and Gas Complex for the Brazilian Economy and Its States
This paper presents the results of a research conducted to measure the importance of the oil and gas complex in the Brazilian economy and in its states. Initially, the efforts were concentrated in the construction of an interregional input-output system for the 27 states of the Brazilian economy at the level of 42 industries, for the year of 2002. Using this system it was possible to make an analysis of role played by the oil and gas complex in the Brazilian economy and its states. First it is made an analysis of the economic flows linked with the oil and gas production, and then it is made an estimation of the GDP value generated by the oil and gas complex in the Brazilian economy and its states. It is also made an analysis in detail of the productive chain of the oil and gas, starting from the suppliers of inputs to the oil and gas production, going through the production itself and the various stages of refining and processing, and ending at the measuring of the services and distribution activities. The results show that the oil and gas complex has a share of around 10.4% of the Brazilian GDP, while the share in the GRP of the states can go from less than 1% to 27%.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Otto, James M., 1998. "Global changes in mining laws, agreements and tax systems," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 79-86, June.
- John Hartwick, 1976.
"Intergenerational Equity and the Investing of Rents from Exhaustible Resources,"
220, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Hartwick, John M, 1977. "Intergenerational Equity and the Investing of Rents from Exhaustible Resources," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(5), pages 972-974, December.
- Guilhoto, J. J. M. & Sesso Filho, U. A., 2005.
"Estimação da Matriz Insumo-Produto a Partir De Dados Preliminares das Contas Nacionais
[Estimation of input-output matrix using preliminary data from national accounts]," MPRA Paper 38212, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Fraser, Rob, 1993. "On the Neutrality of the Resource Rent Tax," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 69(204), pages 56-60, March.
- Fraser, Rob & Kingwell, Ross, 1997. "Can expected tax revenue be increased by an investment-preserving switch from ad valorem royalties to a resource rent tax?," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 103-108, September.
- Garnaut, Ross & Clunies-Ross, Anthony, 1983. "Taxation of Mineral Rents," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, edition 1, number 9780198284543, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wiw:wiwrsa:ersa06p698. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.