Independence of dummy units and Shapley-Shubik methods in cost sharing problems with technological cooperation
In the discrete cost sharing model with technological cooperation (Bahel and Trudeau (IJGT, 2013)), we study the implications of a number of properties that strengthen the well-known Dummy axiom. Our main axiom, which requires that costless units of demands do not affect the cost shares, is used to characterize two classes of rules. Combined with anonymity and a specific stability property, this requirement picks up sharing methods that allow the full compensation of at most one technological contribution. If instead we strengthen the well-known Dummy property to include agents whose technological contribution is offset by the cost of their demand, we are left with an adaptation of the Shapley-Shubik method that treats technologies as private and rewards their contributions. Our results provide two interesting axiomatizations for the adaptations of the Shapley-Shubik rule to our framework.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 401 Sunset Avenue, Windsor, Ontario, N9B 3P4|
Phone: (519) 253-4232 ext 2368
Fax: (519) 973-7096
Web page: http://www.uwindsor.ca/economics/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Martin Shubik, 1961.
"Incentives, Decentralized Control, the Assignment of Joint Costs and Internal Pricing,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
112, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Martin Shubik, 1962. "Incentives, Decentralized Control, the Assignment of Joint Costs and Internal Pricing," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 8(3), pages 325-343, April.
- Moulin, Herve & Sprumont, Yves, 2005.
"On demand responsiveness in additive cost sharing,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 125(1), pages 1-35, November.
- Moulin, Herve & Sprumont, Yves, 2003. "On Demand Responsiveness in Additive Cost Sharing," Working Papers 2003-10, Rice University, Department of Economics.
- Moulin, Herve & Sprumont, Yves, 2004. "On Demand Responsiveness in Additive Cost Sharing," Working Papers 2004-03, Rice University, Department of Economics.
- Moulin, Herve, 1995.
"On Additive Methods to Share Joint Costs,"
Mathematical Social Sciences,
Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 98-99, August.
- Sprumont, Y., 1996.
"Ordinal Cost Sharing,"
Cahiers de recherche
9624, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Eric Bahel & Christian Trudeau, 2013.
"A discrete cost sharing model with technological cooperation,"
International Journal of Game Theory,
Springer;Game Theory Society, vol. 42(2), pages 439-460, May.
- Eric Bahel & Christian Trudeau, 2011. "A Discrete Cost Sharing Model with Technological Cooperation," Working Papers e07-28, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Department of Economics.
- SPRUMONT, Yves, 2004.
"Nearly Serial Sharing Methods,"
Cahiers de recherche
17-2004, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wis:wpaper:1304. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Trudeau)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.