Understanding Czech Long-Term Unemployment
One potential impact of the looming EU accession of Central European economies is unemployment hysteresis working through long-term unemployment (LTU). In this paper, we explore the mechanisms of LTU by providing a detailed description of the recent rise in Czech LTU following the recession of 1997. We place the Czech evidence in international perspective using, e.g., VAR-based simulations, and focus on the role of welfare benefits in driving LTU.
|Date of creation:||07 Aug 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 734 763-5020
Fax: 734 763-5850
Web page: http://www.wdi.umich.edu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jeni Klugman & John Micklewright & Gerry Redmond & UNICEF - United Nations Children's Fund, 2002.
"Poverty in the Transition: Social expenditures and the working-age poor,"
Innocenti Working Papers
inwopa02/18, UNICEF Innocenti Research Centre.
- Klugman, Jeni & Micklewright, John & Redmond, Gerry, 2002. "Poverty in the Transition: Social Expenditures and the Working-Age Poor," CEPR Discussion Papers 3389, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- David Card & Philip K. Robins, 1996. "Do Financial Incentives Encourage Welfare Recipients to Work? Evidence from a Randomized Evaluation of the Self-Sufficiency Project," NBER Working Papers 5701, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jurajda, Stepan, 2002.
"Estimating the effect of unemployment insurance compensation on the labor market histories of displaced workers,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 108(2), pages 227-252, June.
- Jurajda, ŠtepÃ¡n, 2001. "Estimating the Effect of Unemployment Insurance Compensation on the Labor Market Histories of Displaced Workers," IZA Discussion Papers 294, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Marek Gora and Christoph M. Schmidt & Marek Gora and Christoph M. Schmidt, 1997.
"Long-Term Unemployment, Unemployment Benefits and Social Assistance: The Polish Experience,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
110, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Marek GÕra & Christoph M. Schmidt, 1998. "Long-term unemployment, unemployment benefits and social assistance: The Polish experience," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 23(1/2), pages 55-85.
- Ham, John C & Svejnar, Jan & Terrell, Katherine, 1998.
"Unemployment and the Social Safety Net during Transitions to a Market Economy: Evidence from the Czech and Slovak Republics,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 88(5), pages 1117-42, December.
- John Ham & Jan Svejnar & Katherine Terrell, 1998. "Unemployment and the Social Safety Net During Transitions to a Market Economy: Evidence from the Czech and Slovak Republic," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 169, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Pedro Portugal & Olivier Blanchard, 2001. "What Hides Behind an Unemployment Rate: Comparing Portuguese and U.S. Labor Markets," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(1), pages 187-207, March.
- Pissarides, Christopher A, 1992. "Loss of Skill during Unemployment and the Persistence of Employment Shocks," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 107(4), pages 1371-91, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wdi:papers:2002-498. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Laurie Gendron)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.