North-south trade-related technology diffusion : virtuous growth cycles in Latin America
This paper examines the impact on total factor productivity in Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC) and in other developing countries of trade-related technology diffusion from the North) (denoted by NRD), education, and governance, research and development The NRD value for a developing country is an average of R&D stocks in the North, with weights related to openness with the North. Industry-specific NRD is based on the North’s industry-specific R&D, North-South trade patterns, and input-output relations in the South. The main findings are: i) the impact of education and governance on TFP is significantly larger in LAC than in other developing countries, while the opposite holds for NRD; and ii) education, governance and NRD have additional effects on TFP in LAC’s R&D-intensive industries through their interaction with either or both of the other two variables; and iii) since NRD increases with openness and with R&D in the North, both variables raise the South's TFP directly as well as through their interaction with education and governance. These interaction effects imply that increasing the level of any of the three policy variables -- education, governance, or openness --results in virtuous growth cycles. These are smallest under an increase in one of these variables, stronger under an increase in two of them and strongest under an increase in all three variables.
|Date of creation:||01 May 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: http://www.worldbank.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lumenga-Neso, Olivier & Olarreaga, Marcelo & Schiff, Maurice, 2001. "On"indirect"trade-related research and development spillovers," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2580, The World Bank.
- Coe, David T & Helpman, Elhanan & Hoffmaister, Alexander W, 1997.
"North-South R&D Spillovers,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(440), pages 134-49, January.
- Coe, David T & Helpman, Elhanan & Hoffmaister, Alexander, 1995. "North-South R&D Spillovers," CEPR Discussion Papers 1133, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- David T. Coe & Elhanan Helpman & Alexander Hoffmaister, 1995. "North-South R&D Spillovers," NBER Working Papers 5048, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Elhanan Helpman & David T. Coe, 1993. "International RandD Spillovers," IMF Working Papers 93/84, International Monetary Fund.
- Nicita, Alessandro & Olarreaga, Marcelo, 2001. "Trade and production, 1976-99," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2701, The World Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:wbrwps:5300. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.