The size and growth of government spending
This paper reviews the size and growth of government spending. Section I surveys the empirical evidence on the growth of government expenditures. First, a number of measurement issues are raised, including the definition of the public sector, the appearance of off-budget expenditures, and the use of price deflators for government output. Section I then reviews available data on government expenditures for OECD and developing nations. Both a long term perspective, provided by several OECD economies, and contemporary experience, essentially since 1960, are presented. In Section II, the determinants of the growth in government are considered. This literature covers demographic demands for expenditure growth, the changing relative prices of public vis-a-vis private goods, the income elasticity of public goods, and the arguments of the public choice school. Most of these explanations have been directed at understanding trends in industrialized nations, and little has been written on the relevance of these explanations for developing nations. This section briefly speculates on the determinants of government growth in developing countries against the backdrop provided by results in the advanced economies.
|Date of creation:||30 Sep 1988|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: http://www.worldbank.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pluta, Joseph E, 1981. "Real Public Sector Growth and Decline in Developing Countries," Public Finance = Finances publiques, , vol. 36(3), pages 439-54.
- Jonathan S. Skinner, 1987. "Taxation and Output Growth: Evidence from African Countries," NBER Working Papers 2335, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Beck, Morris, 1979. "Public Sector Growth: A Real Perspective," Public Finance = Finances publiques, , vol. 34(3), pages 313-56.
- Sam Peltzman, 1980.
"The Growth of Government,"
University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State
1, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Pathirane, Leila & Blades, Derek W, 1982. "Defining and Measuring the Public Sector: Some International Comparisons," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 28(3), pages 261-89, September.
- Ram, Rati, 1986. "Causality between Income and Government Expenditure: A Broad International Perspective," Public Finance = Finances publiques, , vol. 41(3), pages 393-414.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:wbrwps:44. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.