Commercial Bank Loan Loss Recoveries
We present a new approach to analyse historical recovery rates on distressed bank assets. Our approach uses banks’ reported impaired assets and the corresponding specific provisions. The dynamics and drivers of this credit loss recovery proxy are studied for a comprehensive sample of Australian banks from 1989 to 2005. We find that macroeconomic and bank-specific factors influence banks’ estimates of loan loss recoveries, consistent with banks smoothing their earnings. In contrast with findings based on prices of distressed corporate bonds, banks record lower recoveries in years of strong economic growth.
|Date of creation:||01 Nov 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: + 64 (0)7 838 4758 (Administrator)
Fax: + 64 7 838 4331
Web page: http://cms.mngt.waikato.ac.nz/departments/economics
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arellano, Manuel & Bond, Stephen, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 277-97, April.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Kanagaretnam, Kiridaran & Lobo, Gerald J & Mathieu, Robert, 2003. " Managerial Incentives for Income Smoothing through Bank Loan Loss Provisions," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 20(1), pages 63-80, January.
- Vicente Salas & Jesús Saurina, 2002. "Credit Risk in Two Institutional Regimes: Spanish Commercial and Savings Banks," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 22(3), pages 203-224, December.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Kurt Hess & Arthur Grimes & Mark J. Holmes, 2008.
"Credit Losses in Australasian Banking,"
Working Papers in Economics
08/10, University of Waikato, Department of Economics.
- Jon Frye, 2000. "Depressing recoveries," Emerging Issues, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, issue Oct.
- Edward Altman & Andrea Resti & Andrea Sironi, 2004. "Default Recovery Rates in Credit Risk Modelling: A Review of the Literature and Empirical Evidence," Economic Notes, Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena SpA, vol. 33(2), pages 183-208, 07.
- Douglas K. Pearce, 1983. "Stock prices and the economy," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, issue Sep, pages 7-22.
- Caprio, Gerard Jr. & Klingebiel, Daniela, 1996. "Bank insolvencies : cross-country experience," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1620, The World Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wai:econwp:09/09. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Brian Silverstone)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.