Optimal investment in age-structured goodwill
Segmentation is a core strategy in modern marketing and age-specific segmentation, which is based on the age of the consumers, is very common in practice. A characteristic of age-specific segmentation is the change of the segments composition during time, which may be studied only using dynamic advertising models. Here, we assume that a firm wants to promote and sell a single product in an age segmented market and we model the awareness of this product using an infinite dimensional Nerlove- Arrow goodwill as a state variable. Assuming an infinite time horizon, we use some dynamic programming techniques to solve the problem and to characterize both the optimal advertising effort and the optimal goodwill path in the long run. An interesting feature of the optimal advertising effort is an anticipation effect with respect to the segments considered in the target market due to the time evolution of the segmentation.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Dorsoduro, 3825/E, 30123 Venezia|
Phone: ++39 041 2346910-6911
Fax: ++ 39 041 5221756
Web page: http://www.dma.unive.it/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Faggian, Silvia & Gozzi, Fausto, 2010.
"Optimal investment models with vintage capital: Dynamic programming approach,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 46(4), pages 416-437, July.
- Silvia Faggian & Fausto Gozzi, 2008. "Optimal investment models with vintage capital: Dynamic Programming approach," Working Papers 174, Department of Applied Mathematics, Università Ca' Foscari Venezia.
- Emilio Barucci & Fausto Gozzi, 2001. "Technology adoption and accumulation in a vintage-capital model," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 74(1), pages 1-38, February.
- E. Barucci & F. Gozzi, 1999. "Optimal advertising with a continuum of goods," Annals of Operations Research, Springer, vol. 88(0), pages 15-29, January.
- Jean-Pierre Dubé & Puneet Manchanda, 2005. "Differences in Dynamic Brand Competition Across Markets: An Empirical Analysis," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 24(1), pages 81-95, September.
- Silvia Faggian & Luca Grosset, 2009. "Optimal investment in age-structured goodwill," Working Papers 194, Department of Applied Mathematics, Università Ca' Foscari Venezia.
- Silvia Faggian & Luca Grosset, 2012. "Optimal Investment in Age-Structured Goodwill," Working Papers 2012_07, Department of Economics, University of Venice "Ca' Foscari".
- Silvia Faggian, 2008. "Equilibrium Points for Optimal Investment with Vintage Capital," Working Papers 182, Department of Applied Mathematics, Università Ca' Foscari Venezia.
- Barucci, Emilio & Gozzi, Fausto, 1998. "Investment in a vintage capital model," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 159-188, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)