Optimal Investment in Age-Structured Goodwill
Segmentation is a core strategy in modern marketing, and age-specific segmentation based on the age of the consumers is very common in practice. Age-specific segmentation enables the change of the segments composition during time and can be studied only by means of dynamic advertising models. Here we assume that a firm wants to optimally promote and sell a single product in an age-segmented market and we model the awareness of this product using an infinite dimensional Nerlove-Arrow goodwill as a state variable. Assuming an infinite time horizon, we use some dynamic programming techniques in infinite dimension to characterize both the optimal advertising effort and the optimal goodwill path in the long run. An interesting feature of the optimal advertising effort is an anticipation effect with respect to the segments considered in the target market, due to time evolution of the segmentation. We analyze this effect in two different scenarios: in the first, the decision makers can choose the advertising flow directed to different age segments at different times, while in the second they can only decide the activation level of an advertising medium with a given age-spectrum.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Cannaregio, S. Giobbe no 873 , 30121 Venezia|
Web page: http://www.unive.it/dip.economia
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Silvia Faggian & Luca Grosset, 2009.
"Optimal investment in age-structured goodwill,"
194, Department of Applied Mathematics, Università Ca' Foscari Venezia.
- Barucci, Emilio & Gozzi, Fausto, 1998. "Investment in a vintage capital model," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 159-188, June.
- Silvia Faggian, 2008. "Equilibrium Points for Optimal Investment with Vintage Capital," Working Papers 182, Department of Applied Mathematics, Università Ca' Foscari Venezia.
- Emilio Barucci & Fausto Gozzi, 2001. "Technology adoption and accumulation in a vintage-capital model," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 74(1), pages 1-38, February.
- Jean-Pierre Dubé & Puneet Manchanda, 2005. "Differences in Dynamic Brand Competition Across Markets: An Empirical Analysis," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 24(1), pages 81-95, September.
- Faggian, Silvia & Gozzi, Fausto, 2010.
"Optimal investment models with vintage capital: Dynamic programming approach,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 46(4), pages 416-437, July.
- Silvia Faggian & Fausto Gozzi, 2008. "Optimal investment models with vintage capital: Dynamic Programming approach," Working Papers 174, Department of Applied Mathematics, Università Ca' Foscari Venezia.
- E. Barucci & F. Gozzi, 1999. "Optimal advertising with a continuum of goods," Annals of Operations Research, Springer, vol. 88(0), pages 15-29, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ven:wpaper:2012_07. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Geraldine Ludbrook)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.