A Note on Improved Estimation for the Topp-Leone Distribution
The Topp-Leone distribution is attractive for reliability studies as it has finite support and a bathtub-shaped hazard function. We compare some properties of the method of moments, maximum likelihood, and bias-adjusted maximum likelihood estimators of its shape parameter. The last of these estimators is very simple to apply and dominates the method of moments estimator in terms of relative bias and mean squared error.
|Date of creation:||12 Sep 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://web.uvic.ca/econ
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cordeiro, Gauss M. & Klein, Ruben, 1994. "Bias correction in ARMA models," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 169-176, February.
- Jacob Schwartz & Ryan T. Godwin & David E. Giles, 2011. "Improved Maximum Likelihood Estimation of the Shape Parameter in the Nakagami Distribution," Econometrics Working Papers 1109, Department of Economics, University of Victoria.
- Saralees Nadarajah, 2009. "Bathtub-shaped failure rate functions," Quality & Quantity: International Journal of Methodology, Springer, vol. 43(5), pages 855-863, September.
- William J. Reed, 2011. "A flexible parametric survival model which allows a bathtub-shaped hazard rate function," Journal of Applied Statistics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(8), pages 1665-1680, August.
- Ali Genç, 2012. "Moments of order statistics of Topp–Leone distribution," Statistical Papers, Springer, vol. 53(1), pages 117-131, February.
- M. E. Ghitany & S. Kotz & M. Xie, 2005. "On some reliability measures and their stochastic orderings for the Topp-Leone distribution," Journal of Applied Statistics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(7), pages 715-722.
- Saralees Nadarajah & Samuel Kotz, 2003. "Moments of some J-shaped distributions," Journal of Applied Statistics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(3), pages 311-317.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:vic:vicewp:1203. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lori Cretney)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.