Dynamic tracking error with shortfall control using stochastic programming
In this contribution we propose a dynamic tracking error problem and we consider the problem of monitoring at discrete point the shortfall of the portfolio below a set of given reference levels of wealth. We formulate and solve the resulting dynamic optimization problem using stochastic programming. The resulting problem allows for a great flexibility in the combination of a tracking goal and a downside risk protection through a discrete monitoring of the shortfalls. We provide the results of a out-of-sample simulation experiments, on real data, for different portfolio configurations and different market conditions.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:||2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Cannaregio, S. Giobbe no 873 , 30121 Venezia|
Web page: http://www.unive.it/dip.economia
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rudolf, Markus & Wolter, Hans-Jurgen & Zimmermann, Heinz, 1999. "A linear model for tracking error minimization," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 85-103, January.
- M. A. H. Dempster & M. Germano & E. A. Medova & M. I. Rietbergen & F. Sandrini & M. Scrowston, 2007. "Designing minimum guaranteed return funds," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(2), pages 245-256.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:4:y:2005:i:16:p:1-9 is not listed on IDEAS
- Domenico Cuoco & Hua He & Sergei Isaenko, 2004.
"Optimal Dynamic Trading Strategies with Risk Limits,"
Yale School of Management Working Papers
amz2567, Yale School of Management.
- Domenico Cuoco & Hua He & Sergei Issaenko, 2001. "Optimal Dynamic rading Strategies with Risk Limits," FAME Research Paper Series rp60, International Center for Financial Asset Management and Engineering.
- Hiroshi Konno & Hiroaki Yamazaki, 1991. "Mean-Absolute Deviation Portfolio Optimization Model and Its Applications to Tokyo Stock Market," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 37(5), pages 519-531, May.
- Alexei Chekhlov & Stanislav Uryasev & Michael Zabarankin, 2005. "Drawdown Measure In Portfolio Optimization," International Journal of Theoretical and Applied Finance (IJTAF), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 8(01), pages 13-58.
- Diana Barro & Elio Canestrelli, 2005.
"Tracking Error: a multistage portfolio model,"
GE, Growth, Math methods
- Alexander, Gordon J. & Baptista, Alexandre M., 2006. "Portfolio selection with a drawdown constraint," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(11), pages 3171-3189, November.
- Bertsimas, Dimitris & Lauprete, Geoffrey J. & Samarov, Alexander, 2004. "Shortfall as a risk measure: properties, optimization and applications," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 28(7), pages 1353-1381, April.
- Udo Ebert, 2005. "Measures of downside risk," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 4(16), pages 1-9.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ven:wpaper:2012_18. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Geraldine Ludbrook)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.