Employment and Training Policy in the United States during the Economic Crisis
This paper examines labor market conditions and public employment policies in the United States during what some are calling the Great Recession. We document the dramatic labor market changes that rapidly unfolded when the rate of gross domestic product growth turned negative, from the end of 2007 through early 2009. The paper reviews the resulting stress on labor market support programs and the broad federal response. That response came through modifications to existing programs and the introduction of new mechanisms to help Americans cope with job loss and protracted unemployment. The particular focus is on federally supported public programs for occupational job skills training and temporary income replacement. We also discuss procedures for evaluating the effectiveness of public reemployment efforts, and adjustments to these programs that were adopted during the crisis.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 300 S. Westnedge Ave. Kalamazoo, MI 49007 USA|
Web page: http://www.upjohn.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christopher J. O'Leary & Robert A. Straits, 2004.
"Intergovernmental Relations in Employment Policy: The United States Experience,"
Book chapters authored by Upjohn Institute researchers,
in: Alain Noel (ed.), Federalism and Labour market Policy: Comparing Different Governance and Employment Strategies, pages 25-82
W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research.
- Christopher J. O'Leary & Robert A. Straits, 2000. "Intergovernmental Relations and Employment Policy: The United States Experience," Upjohn Working Papers and Journal Articles 00-60, W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research.
- repec:uwp:jhriss:v:12:y:1977:i:1:p:3-26 is not listed on IDEAS
- Timothy J. Bartik & Randall W. Eberts & Wei-Jang Huang, 2009. "Methodology for Adjusting GPRA Workforce Development Program Performance Targets for the Effects of Business Cycles," Upjohn Working Papers and Journal Articles 09-154, W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research.
- repec:upj:uchaps:rwecjooecd2004 is not listed on IDEAS
- John L. Palmer, 1987. "The Next Decade: The Economic, Political, And Social Context Of Employment And Training Policies," Review of Policy Research, Policy Studies Organization, vol. 6(4), pages 685-694, 05.
- Kevin Hollenbeck, 2008. "Sensitivity Testing of Net Impact Estimates of Workforce Development Programs Using Administrative Data," Upjohn Working Papers and Journal Articles 08-139, W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:upj:weupjo:10-161. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.