Industrialisation: Import Substitution to Export Promotion
Import-substitution policy creates biases in the incentive structure and lowers the growth of potential exports in the long run. Trade reforms in this respect are likely to reduce the gap between domestic and border prices. The expectation is to bring better industrial performance on the lines of comparative advantages. This paper examines the import-substitution policy and the effect and impact of trade liberalisation.
|Date of creation:||2000|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: School of Economics, University of Wollongong, Northfields Avenue, Wollongong NSW 2522 Australia|
Phone: +612 4221-3659
Fax: +612 4221-3725
Web page: http://business.uow.edu.au/econ/index.html
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pack, Howard, 1988. "Industrialization and trade," Handbook of Development Economics, in: Hollis Chenery & T.N. Srinivasan (ed.), Handbook of Development Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 9, pages 333-380 Elsevier.
- Greenaway, David & Nam, Chong Hyun, 1988. "Industrialisation and Macroeconomic Performance in Developing Countries under Alternative Trade Strategies," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(3), pages 419-435.
- Warr, Peter G, 1983. "Domestic Resource Cost as an Investment Criterion," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 35(2), pages 302-306, July.
- Helleiner, G. K., 1990. "Trade strategy in medium-term adjustment," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 18(6), pages 879-897, June.
- Jagdish N. Bhagwati, 1978. "Anatomy and Consequences of Exchange Control Regimes," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number bhag78-1, Enero.
- Bruno, Michael, 1972. "Domestic Resource Costs and Effective Protection: Clarification and Synthesis," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 80(1), pages 16-33, Jan.-Feb..
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uow:depec1:wp00-09. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Siminski)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.