Social Groups and Economic Poverty: A Problem in Measurement
This paper points to some elementary conflicts between the claims of interpersonal and intergroup justice as they manifest themselves in the process of seeking a real-valued index of poverty which is required to satisfy certain seemingly desirable properties. It indicates how ?group-sensitive? poverty measures, similar to the Anand-Sen (1995) ?Gender Adjusted Human Development Index? and the Subramanian-Majumdar (2002) ?Group-Disparity Adjusted Deprivation Index?, may be constructed. Some properties of a specific ?group-sensitive? poverty index are appraised, and the advantage of having a ?flexible? measure which is capable of effecting a tradeoff between the claims of interpersonal and inter-group equality is spelt out. The implications of directly incorporating group disparities into the measurement of poverty for poverty comparisons and anti-poverty policy are also discussed.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Katajanokanlaituri 6B, 00160 Helsinki|
Web page: http://www.wider.unu.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- François BOURGUIGNON & Gary S. FIELDS, 1990.
"Poverty Measures and Anti-Poverty Policy,"
Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain)
1990038, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Bourguignon, F. & Fields, G.S., 1990. "Poverty Measures and Anti-Poverty Policy," DELTA Working Papers 90-04, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Amiel, Yoram & Cowell, Frank, 1994. "Monotonicity, dominance and the Pareto principle," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 45(4), pages 447-450, August.
- Atkinson, A B, 1987. "On the Measurement of Poverty," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(4), pages 749-764, July.
- George A. Akerlof & Rachel E. Kranton, 2000. "Economics and Identity," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 115(3), pages 715-753.
- Sen, Amartya K, 1976. "Poverty: An Ordinal Approach to Measurement," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(2), pages 219-231, March.
- Keen, Michael, 1992. "Needs and Targeting," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 102(410), pages 67-79, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:unu:wpaper:rp2004-59. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mauricio Roa Grisales)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.