Foreign Direct Investment And Regional Economic Growth In Indonesia: A Panel Data Study
The main objective of this study is to determine the effects of foreign direct investment on economic growth of twenty-six provinces in Indonesia during 1987-2000 using panel data analysis. Quantitative and qualitative analysis were used in this research. Qualitative analysis describes the foreign direct investment in Indonesia. Panel data analysis with fixed effect method was used as a quantitative analysis to capture the main objective of this research. The results of this study are : (1) Foreign Direct Investment in Indonesia is positively correlated with the economic growth, although it is not statistically significant; (2) The factors that promote foreign direct investment in Indonesia are domestic investment; private consumption, export, import, and education; (3) There is a complementary relationship between foreign direct investment and domestic investment; (4) The quality of human resources gives a strong effect on economic growth and foreign direct investment.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2003|
|Date of revision:||Jul 2003|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Jalan Cimandiri No.6, Bandung 40115|
Web page: http://ceds.fe.unpad.ac.id
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- V N Balasubramanyam & D Sapsford & M A Salisu, "undated". "Foreign Direct Investment and Growth," Working Papers ec13/94, Department of Economics, University of Lancaster.
- Alfaro, Laura & Chanda, Areendam & Kalemli-Ozcan, Sebnem & Sayek, Selin, 2004.
"FDI and economic growth: the role of local financial markets,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 89-112, October.
- Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan & Laura Alfaro & Selin Sayek & Areendam Chanda, 2002. "FDI and Economic Growth: The Role of Local Financial Markets," Macroeconomics 0212007, EconWPA.
- Ann E. Harrison & Brian J. Aitken, 1999. "Do Domestic Firms Benefit from Direct Foreign Investment? Evidence from Venezuela," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 605-618, June.
- Dutt, Amitava Krishna, 1997. "The pattern of direct foreign investment and economic growth," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(11), pages 1925-1936, November.
- Haddad, Mona & Harrison, Ann, 1993. "Are there positive spillovers from direct foreign investment? : Evidence from panel data for Morocco," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 51-74, October. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:unp:wpaper:200305. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Arief Anshory Yusuf)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.