The making of national giants: technology and governments shaping the international expansion of oil companies from Brazil and China
This chapter analyses foreign direct investments (henceforth FDI) in the oil industry from two large emerging economies, Brazil and China, with the purpose to understand the role of Governments and technology in the internationalisation strategies of those firms. The chapter shows that the Brazilian oil company, Petrobras, internationalised in the 1970s in order to secure oil resources, and throughout time developed technological capabilities that explain its current success and worldwide expansion. Chinese firms have risen later and are making their outward moves in order to catch up technologically with the world's leading firms.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (31) (0)43 3883875
Fax: (31) (0)43 3216518
Web page: http://www.merit.unu.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter Nolan & Jin Zhang, 2002. "The Challenge Of Globalization For Large Chinese Firms," UNCTAD Discussion Papers 162, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development.
- Bonaglia, Federico & Goldstein, Andrea & Mathews, John, 2006.
"Accelerated Internationalisation by Emerging Multinationals: the Case of White Goods Sector,"
1485, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Federico BONAGLIA & Andrea GOLDSTEIN & John MATHEWS, 2006. "Accelerated Internationalisation by Emerging Multinationals: the Case of White Goods Sector," Working Papers 270, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- John Child & Suzana B. Rodrigues, 2005. "The Internationalization of Chinese Firms: A Case for Theoretical Extension?," Management and Organization Review, International Association of Chinese Management Research, vol. 1(3), pages 381-410, November.
- Nolan, Peter & Zhang, Jin, 2002. "The Challenge of Globalization for Large Chinese Firms," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(12), pages 2089-2107, December.
- Dilek Aykut & Andrea Goldstein, 2006. "Developing Country Multinationals: South-South Investment Comes of Age," OECD Development Centre Working Papers 257, OECD Publishing.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:unm:unumer:2008021. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ad Notten)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.