Pluralism, the Lucas critique, and the integration of macro and micro
Mainstream macroeconomics has pursued .micro founded.models based on the explicit optimization by representative agents. The result has been a long and wasteful detour. But elements of the Lucas critique are relevant, also for heterodox economists. Challenging common heterodox views on microeconomics and formalization, this paper argues that (i) economic models should not be based purely on empirically observed regularities,(ii) heterodox economists must be able to tell an integrated story about goal-oriented micro behavior in a specific macro environment, and (iii)relatively simple analytical models have an essential role to play. JEL Categories: E1; B5
|Date of creation:||Feb 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Thompson Hall, Amherst, MA 01003|
Web page: http://www.umass.edu/economics
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter Skott, 2012.
"Theoretical And Empirical Shortcomings Of The Kaleckian Investment Function,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 63(1), pages 109-138, 02.
- Peter Skott, 2008. "Theoretical and empirical shortcomings of the Kaleckian investment function," UMASS Amherst Economics Working Papers 2008-11, University of Massachusetts Amherst, Department of Economics, revised Dec 2009.
- Marc Lavoie & Gabriel Rodriguez & Mario Seccareccia, 2004. "Similitudes and Discrepancies in Post-Keynesian and Marxist Theories of Investment: A Theoretical and Empirical Investigation," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(2), pages 127-149.
- Alan P. Kirman, 1992. "Whom or What Does the Representative Individual Represent?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 6(2), pages 117-136, Spring.
- Eckhard Hein & Marc Lavoie & Till van Treeck, 2011. "Some instability puzzles in Kaleckian models of growth and distribution: a critical survey," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 35(3), pages 587-612.
- Eckhard Hein & Marc Lavoie & Till van Treeck, 2008. "Some instability puzzles in Kaleckian models of growth and distribution: A critical survey," IMK Working Paper 19-2008, IMK at the Hans Boeckler Foundation, Macroeconomic Policy Institute.
- Freeman, Alan & Kliman, Andrew, 2005. "Beyond talking the talk: towards a critical pluralist practice," MPRA Paper 48644, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 07 Nov 2006.
- Amitava Krishna Dutt, 2003. "On Post Walrasian Economics, Macroeconomic Policy, and Heterodox Economics," International Journal of Political Economy, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 33(2), pages 47-67, June.
- Peter Skott & Ben Zipperer, 2012. "An empirical evaluation of three post-Keynesian models," European Journal of Economics and Economic Policies: Intervention, Edward Elgar Publishing, vol. 9(2), pages 277-307.
- Peter Skott, Ben Zipperer, 2010. "An empirical evaluation of three post Keynesian models," UMASS Amherst Economics Working Papers 2010-08, University of Massachusetts Amherst, Department of Economics.
- Michalis Nikiforos, 2011. "On the Desired Rate of Capacity Utilization," Working Papers 1116, New School for Social Research, Department of Economics.
- John B. Davis, 2008. "The turn in recent economics and return of orthodoxy," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 32(3), pages 349-366, May.
- Sheila C. Dow, 2007. "Variety Of Methodological Approach In Economics," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 21(3), pages 447-465, 07.
- David Colander, 2003. "Post Walrasian Macroeconomics and Heterodoxy : Thinking Outside the Heterodox Box," International Journal of Political Economy, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 33(2), pages 68-81, June.
- G. D. N. Worswick, 1959. "Mrs. Robinson On Simple Accumulation A Comment With Algebra," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 11(2), pages 125-142.
- Tony Lawson, 2009. "The current economic crisis: its nature and the course of academic economics," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 33(4), pages 759-777, July.
- Chick, Victoria & Dow, Sheila C, 2001. "Formalism, Logic and Reality: A Keynesian Analysis," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 25(6), pages 705-721, November.
- Mohun, Simon & Veneziani, Roberto, 2010. "Reorienting economics?," MPRA Paper 30448, University Library of Munich, Germany. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ums:papers:2012-04. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Daniele Girardi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.