Steindlian Models of Growth and Stagnation
This paper examines Steindl’s original 1952 model and relates it to subsequent stagnationist models. The model is then extended by introducing endogenous changes in the markup and a reformulation of the investment function. These extensions address weaknesses of the simpler models, find support in Steindl’s writing and leave intact some of Steindl’s key results. In a further extension, we add a labour market and analyse the stabilizing influence of a Marxian reserve-army mechanism. The implications of this model for the effects of increased monopolization are largely in line with Steindl’s predictions.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.umass.edu/economics
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Taylor, Lance, 1985. "A Stagnationist Model of Economic Growth," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 9(4), pages 383-403, December.
- Peter Flaschel & Hans-Martin Krolzig, 2003.
"Wage and Price Phillips Curves An empirical analysis of destabilizing wage-price spirals,"
2003-W16, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Hans-Martin Krolzig & Peter Flaschel, 2003. "Wage and Price Phillips Curves An empirical analysis of destabilizing wage-price spirals," Economics Series Working Papers 2003-W16, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Daniel Levy & Mark Bergen & Shantanu Dutta & Robert Venable, 2005.
"The Magnitude of Menu Costs: Direct Evidence from Large U.S. Supermarket Chains,"
- Levy, Daniel, et al, 1997. "The Magnitude of Menu Costs: Direct Evidence from Large U.S. Supermarket Chains," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 112(3), pages 791-825, August.
- Lavoie, M., 1992.
"The Kaleckian Model of Growth and Distribution and its Neo-Ricardian and Neo-Marxian Critiques,"
9201e, University of Ottawa, Department of Economics.
- Lavoie, Marc, 1995. "The Kaleckian Model of Growth and Distribution and Its Neo-Ricardian and Neo-Marxian Critiques," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 19(6), pages 789-818, December.
- Dumenil, Gérard & Lévy, Dominique, 1996. "Acceleration and slowdown of technical progress in the us since the civil war (the)," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange) 9601, CEPREMAP.
- Dutt, Amitava Krishna, 1984. "Stagnation, Income Distribution and Monopoly Power," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 8(1), pages 25-40, March.
- Blecker, Robert A, 1989. "International Competition, Income Distribution and Economic Growth," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 13(3), pages 395-412, September.
- Pitelis, Christos, 1997. "On Kaldor and Pensions," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 21(4), pages 469-82, July.
- Skott, Peter, 1989. "Effective Demand, Class Struggle and Cyclical Growth," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 30(1), pages 231-47, February.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521365963 is not listed on IDEAS
- Steindl, Josef, 1979. "Stagnation Theory and Stagnation Policy," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 3(1), pages 1-14, March.
- Dutt, Amitava Krishna, 1992. "Conflict inflation, distribution, cyclical accumulation and crises," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 579-597, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ums:papers:2004-11. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Arslan Razmi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.