“Financial” vs. “Real”: An Overview of the Contradictory Role of Finance
This paper discusses the contradictory role and place of finance within the post-1980 U.S. economy. A central argument advanced is that the relationship between the real and financial sides of the economy has become increasingly more complicated and contradictory. Therefore, the distinction made between “real” and “financial” problems of the economy needs to be better qualified by taking into account the dynamics between the two. The contradictory relationship is analyzed through a discussion of finance in relation to labor and households, nonfinancial corporations, speculative asset bubbles, and global imbalances. This analysis shows that finance has been in a contradictory unity with the rest of the economy. It has contributed to some of the problems in the economy, while providing solutions to them at other instances, and in the process it shaped and in turn was shaped by the rest of the economy.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 418 N Pleasant St, Amherst MA 01002|
Phone: (413) 545-6355
Fax: (413) 545-2921
Web page: http://www.umass.edu/peri/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ozgür Orhangazi, 2008.
"Financialisation and capital accumulation in the non-financial corporate sector:,"
Cambridge Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 32(6), pages 863-886, November.
- Özgür Orhangazi, 2007. "Financialization and Capital Accumulation in the Non-Financial Corporate Sector," Working Papers wp149, Political Economy Research Institute, University of Massachusetts at Amherst.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009. "Varieties of Crises and Their Dates," Introductory Chapters,in: This Time Is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly Princeton University Press.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009. "This Time Is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, number 8973, 09-2014.
- Reinhart, Carmen, 2009. "The Second Great Contraction," MPRA Paper 21485, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Andrea Terzi, 2010. "Keynes's uncertainty is not about white or black swans," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 32(4), pages 559-566, July.
- L. Randall Wray, 2008. "Lessons from the Subprime Meltdown," Challenge, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 51(2), pages 40-68, March.
- L. Randall Wray, 2007. "Lessons from the Subprime Meltdown," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_522, Levy Economics Institute.
- Reinhart, Karmen & Rogoff, Kenneth, 2009. ""This time is different": panorama of eight centuries of financial crises," Economic Policy, Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration, vol. 1, pages 77-114, March.
- Paul Davidson, 2010. "Black swans and Knight's epistemological uncertainty: are these concepts also underlying behavioral and post-Walrasian theory?," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 32(4), pages 567-570, July.
- James Crotty, 2009. "Structural causes of the global financial crisis: a critical assessment of the 'new financial architecture'," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 33(4), pages 563-580, July.
- James Crotty, 2008. "Structural Causes of the Global Financial Crisis: A Critical Assessment of the ‘New Financial Architecture’," UMASS Amherst Economics Working Papers 2008-14, University of Massachusetts Amherst, Department of Economics.
- James Crotty, 2008. "Structural Causes of the Global Financial Crisis: A Critical Assessment of the ‘New Financial Architecture’," Working Papers wp180, Political Economy Research Institute, University of Massachusetts at Amherst.
- Özgür Orhangazi, 2008. "Financialization and the US Economy," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, number 12927.
- James Crotty, 2000. "Structural Contradictions of the Global Neoliberal Regime," Review of Radical Political Economics, Union for Radical Political Economics, vol. 32(3), pages 361-368, September.
- James Crotty, 2000. "Structural Contradictions of the Global Neoliberal Regime," Published Studies ps6, Political Economy Research Institute, University of Massachusetts at Amherst.
- Mathieu Dufour & Ã–zgÃ¼r Orhangazi, 2007. "International Financial Crises: Scourge or Blessings in Disguise?," Review of Radical Political Economics, Union for Radical Political Economics, vol. 39(3), pages 342-350, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uma:periwp:wp274. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Judy Fogg)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.