Engendering Human Development: A Critique of the UNDP’s Gender-Related Development Index
This article reviews the literature critiquing the United Nations Development Programme’s Gender-related Development Index (GDI), which is a measure of human development penalized for the extent of gender inequality in each country; presents several original critiques of GDI; and presents proposed corrections to the GDI in response to both received and original critiques. Elizabeth Stanton is a researcher at the Global Development and Environment Institute at Tufts University.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 418 N Pleasant St, Amherst MA 01002|
Phone: (413) 545-6355
Fax: (413) 545-2921
Web page: http://www.peri.umass.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Siobhan Austen & Therese Jefferson & Vicki Thein, 2003. "Gendered Social Indicators and Grounded Theory," Feminist Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(1), pages 1-18.
- Sudhir Anand & Amartya Sen, 2000. "The Income Component of the Human Development Index," Journal of Human Development and Capabilities, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(1), pages 83-106.
- Sudhir Anand and Amartya Sen, 2000. "The Income Component of Human Development Index," Human Development Occasional Papers (1992-2007) HDOCPA-2000-01, Human Development Report Office (HDRO), United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
- Carola Grün & Stephan Klasen, 2003.
"Growth, Inequality and Well-Being: Comparisons across Space and Time,"
Ibero America Institute for Econ. Research (IAI) Discussion Papers
094, Ibero-America Institute for Economic Research.
- Carola Grün & Stephan Klasen, 2004. "Growth, Inequality and Well-Being: Comparisons across Space and Time," HEW 0401001, EconWPA.
- Nancy Folbre, 2006. "Measuring Care: Gender, Empowerment, and the Care Economy," Journal of Human Development and Capabilities, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(2), pages 183-199.
- Vegard Iversen, 2003. "Intra-Household Inequality: A Challenge For The Capability Approach?," Feminist Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(2-3), pages 93-115.
- Sara Cantillon & Brian Nolan, 2001. "Poverty Within Households: Measuring Gender Differences Using Nonmonetary Indicators," Feminist Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(1), pages 5-23.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uma:periwp:wp131. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Judy Fogg)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.