Convexity on Nash Equilibria without Linear Structure
To give sucient conditions for Nash Equilibrium existence in a continuous game is a central problem in Game Theory. In this paper, we present two games in which we show how the continuity and quasi-concavity hypotheses are unconnected one to each other. Then, we relax the quasiconcavity assumption by exploiting the multiconnected convexity's concept (Mechaiekh & Others, 1998) in spaces without any linear structure. These results will be applied to two non-zero-sum games lacking the classical assumptions and more recent improvements (Ziad, 1997), (Abalo & Kostreva, 2004). As a minor result, some counterexamples about relationship between some continuity conditions due to Lignola (1997), Reny (1999) and Simon (1995) for Nash equilibria existence are obtained.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Largo Papa Giovanni Paolo II, 1 -71100- Foggia (I)|
Web page: http://www.dsems.unifg.it
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Llinares, Juan-Vicente, 1998.
"Unified treatment of the problem of existence of maximal elements in binary relations: a characterization,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 285-302, April.
- Juan Vicente Llinares Císcar, 1995. "Unified Treatment Of The Problem Of Existence Of Maximal Elements In Binary Relations. A Characterization," Working Papers. Serie AD 1995-17, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Ziad, Abderrahmane, 1999. "Pure strategy Nash equilibria of non-zero-sum two-person games: non-convex case," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 62(3), pages 307-310, March.
- Nishimura, Kazuo & Friedman, James, 1981. "Existence of Nash Equilibrium in n Person Games without Quasi-Concavity," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 22(3), pages 637-48, October.
- Tian, Guoqiang & Zhou, Jianxin, 1995. "Transfer continuities, generalizations of the Weierstrass and maximum theorems: A full characterization," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 281-303.
- Eaton, B Curtis & Lipsey, Richard G, 1976. "The Non-Uniqueness of Equilibrium in the Loschian Location Model," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 66(1), pages 71-93, March.
- Philip J. Reny, 1999. "On the Existence of Pure and Mixed Strategy Nash Equilibria in Discontinuous Games," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 67(5), pages 1029-1056, September.
- Michael R. Baye & Guoqiang Tian & Jianxin Zhou, 1993. "Characterizations of the Existence of Equilibria in Games with Discontinuous and Non-quasiconcave Payoffs," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 60(4), pages 935-948.
- Partha Dasgupta & Eric Maskin, 1986. "The Existence of Equilibrium in Discontinuous Economic Games, I: Theory," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 53(1), pages 1-26.
- Leo K. Simon, 1987. "Games with Discontinuous Payoffs," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 54(4), pages 569-597.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ufg:qdsems:15-2007. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luca Grilli)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.