On the Existence of Approximated Equilibria and Sharing-Rule Equilibria in Discontinuous Games
New relaxations of the Nash equilibrium concept are shown to exist in any strategic game with discontinuous payoff functions. The new concepts are used (1) to show the equivalence between Reny's better-reply security condition  and Simon-Zame's endogenous tie-breaking rule equilibrium concept , (2) to obtain conditions for the existence of approximated equilibria in a class of discontinuous games that naturally extends Reny's better-reply secure games, and (3) to show the existence of approximated equilibria in a large family of two-player games that contains all standard models of auctions.
|Date of creation:||18 Jul 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00846143|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hanming Fang & Stephen Morris, 2003.
"Multidimensional Private Value Auctions,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1423, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Stephen Morris & Hanming Fang, 2004. "Multidimensional Private Value Auctions," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm387, Yale School of Management.
- Stephen Morris & Hanming Fang, 2004. "Multidimensional Private Value Auctions," Econometric Society 2004 North American Winter Meetings 174, Econometric Society.
- Hanming Fang, 2004. "Multidimensional Private Value Auctions," Theory workshop papers 121473000000000021, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Nicolas, VIEILLE & Rida, LARAKI & Eilon, SOLAN, 2003.
"Continuous-Time Games of Timing,"
Les Cahiers de Recherche
773, HEC Paris.
- Rida Laraki & Eilon Solan & Nicolas Vieille, 2003. "Continuous-Time Games of Timing," Working Papers hal-00591682, HAL.
- Nicolas Vieille & Eilon Solan & Rida Laraki, 2005. "Continuous-time games of timing," Post-Print hal-00464672, HAL.
- Rida Laraki & Eilon Solan & Nicolas Vieille, 2003. "Continuous-time Games of Timing," Discussion Papers 1363, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Leo K. Simon, 1987. "Games with Discontinuous Payoffs," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 54(4), pages 569-597.
- Simon, Leo K & Zame, William R, 1990.
"Discontinuous Games and Endogenous Sharing Rules,"
Econometric Society, vol. 58(4), pages 861-72, July.
- Leo K. Simon and William R. Zame., 1987. "Discontinuous Games and Endogenous Sharing Rules," Economics Working Papers 8756, University of California at Berkeley.
- Simon, Leo K. & Zame, William R., 1987. "Discontinous Games and Endogenous Sharing Rules," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt8n46v2wv, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Carmona, Guilherme, 2008.
"An Existence Result for Discontinuous Games,"
FEUNL Working Paper Series
wp530, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Faculdade de Economia.
- Philip J. Reny, 1999. "On the Existence of Pure and Mixed Strategy Nash Equilibria in Discontinuous Games," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 67(5), pages 1029-1056, September.
- Pavlo Prokopovych, 2011. "On equilibrium existence in payoff secure games," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 48(1), pages 5-16, September.
- Eric Maskin & John Riley, 2000. "Equilibrium in Sealed High Bid Auctions," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 67(3), pages 439-454.
- Andrew McLennan & Paulo K. Monteiro & Rabee Tourky, 2011. "Games With Discontinuous Payoffs: A Strengthening of Reny's Existence Theorem," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 79(5), pages 1643-1664, 09.
- Philip Reny, 2011.
"Strategic approximations of discontinuous games,"
Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 48(1), pages 17-29, September.
- Jackson, Matthew O., 2005.
"Non-Existence of Equilibrium in Vickrey, Second-Price, and English Auctions,"
1241, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Matthew Jackson, 2009. "Non-existence of equilibrium in Vickrey, second-price, and English auctions," Review of Economic Design, Springer;Society for Economic Design, vol. 13(1), pages 137-145, April.
- Adib Bagh & Alejandro Jofre, 2006. "Reciprocal Upper Semicontinuity and Better Reply Secure Games: A Comment," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 74(6), pages 1715-1721, November.
- Paulo Barelli & Idione Meneghel, 2013. "A Note on the Equilibrium Existence Problem in Discontinuous Games," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 81(2), pages 813-824, 03.
- Guilherme Carmona, 2011. "Understanding some recent existence results for discontinuous games," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 48(1), pages 31-45, September.
- Kim, Jinwoo & Che, Yeon-Koo, 2004. "Asymmetric information about rivals' types in standard auctions," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 383-397, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:cesptp:hal-00846143. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.