Technological Convergence: a Strategic Perspective
The information and communication technologies (ICT) sectors are in a process of technological convergence. Determinant factors in this process are the liberalisation of the telecommunications markets and technological change. Many firms are engaged in a process of mergers and alliances to position themselves in this new framework. Technological and demand uncertainties are very important. Our objective in this paper is to study the economic determinants of the strategies of the firms. With this aim, we review some key technological and demand aspects. We shed some light on the strategic motivations of the firms by establishing a parallel with the evolution of the retailing sector.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: FCEE. Campus Montilivi. 17071 Girona. Spain.|
Web page: http://www.udg.edu/depec
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Katz, Michael L & Shapiro, Carl, 1985. "Network Externalities, Competition, and Compatibility," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(3), pages 424-40, June.
- Stanley M. Besen & Joseph Farrell, 1994. "Choosing How to Compete: Strategies and Tactics in Standardization," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 8(2), pages 117-131, Spring.
- Thompson, George V., 1954. "Intercompany Technical Standardization in the Early American Automobile Industry," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 14(01), pages 1-20, December.
- Nolan, Dermot, 1997. "Bottlenecks in pay television. Impact on market development in Europe," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 21(7), pages 597-610, August.
- Shurmer, Mark, 1997. "Future demand for pay-TV in the UK," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 21(7), pages 611-618, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:udg:wpeudg:002. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Germà Coenders)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.