Productive Development Policies in Latin America: Past and Present
This paper reviews industrial policy in Latin America from the Great Depression to our days. Its purpose is to derive some lessons for what Latin American and Caribbean countries (LAC) should do in this area. It has become clear over the last few years that LAC, if they are to accelerate their growth rates, need more than a good macroeconomic framework and the protection of property rights: they need to be more proactive in transforming their production structures, still too dependent on primary commodity exports or the assembly of final goods from imported components, sectors that are ill-suited to the productive development jumps that have been associated with high growth in the developing world over the past 60 years.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bertola, Luis & Ocampo, Jose Antonio, 2012. "The Economic Development of Latin America since Independence," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199662142, December.
- Manuel R. Agosin & Christian Larraín & Nicolás Grau, 2010.
"Industrial Policy in Chile,"
IDB Publications (Working Papers)
67218, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Manuel Agosin & Nicolas Grau & Christian Larrain, 2010. "Industrial Policy in Chile," Research Department Publications 4695, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Manuel Agosin & Cristian Larraín & Nicolás Grau, 2009. "Industrial policy in Chile," Working Papers wp294, University of Chile, Department of Economics.
- Francisco E. Thoumi, 1980. "International Trade Strategies, Employment, and Income Distribution in Colombia," NBER Chapters, in: Trade and Employment in Developing Countries, Volume 1: Individual Studies, pages 135-180 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- José Díaz & Gert Wagner, 2004. "Política Comercial: Instrumentos y Antecedentes. Chile en los Siglos XIX y XX," Documentos de Trabajo 223, Instituto de Economia. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile..
- Moreno Brid, Juan Carlos & Pérez Caldentey, Esteban, 2009.
"Trade and economic growth: a Latin American perspective on rhetoric and reality,"
Estudios y Perspectivas – Sede Subregional de la CEPAL en México
119, Naciones Unidas Comisión Económica para América Latina y el Caribe (CEPAL).
- Juan Carlos Moreno Brid & Esteban PÃ©rez Caldentey, 2010. "Trade and Economic Growth: A Latin American Perspective on Rhetoric and Reality," Chapters, in: Handbook of Alternative Theories of Economic Growth, chapter 20 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Agosin, Manuel R. & Ffrench-Davis, Ricardo, 1993. "Trade liberalization in Latin America," Revista CEPAL, Naciones Unidas Comisión Económica para América Latina y el Caribe (CEPAL), August.
- Dani Rodrik, 2008.
"Goodbye Washington Consensus, Hello Washington Confusion? A Review of the World Banks Economic Growth in the 1990s: Learning from a Decade of Reform,"
Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia, vol. 55(2), pages 135-156, June.
- Dani Rodrik, 2006. "Goodbye Washington Consensus, Hello Washington Confusion? A Review of the World Bank's Economic Growth in the 1990s: Learning from a Decade of Reform," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 44(4), pages 973-987, December.
- World Bank, 2005. "Economic Growth in the 1990s : Learning from a Decade of Reform," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 7370, May.
- Hermann, Jennifer, 2010. "Development banks in the financial-liberalization era: the case of BNDES in Brazil," Revista CEPAL, Naciones Unidas Comisión Económica para América Latina y el Caribe (CEPAL), April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:udc:wpaper:wp382. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tatiana Reyes)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.