Product Characteristics and the Growth of FDI
FDI and the activities of foreign affiliate firms have grown dramatically in recent decades, both in absolute terms and as a share of world GDP. Most explanations of this phenomenon focus on the impact of the macroeconomic environment on the choices facing individual firms over whether or not to engage in FDI. We focus instead on the characteristics of demand for the products produced in sectors known to be conducive to FDI. These characteristics are shown to help explain the recent growth in the FDI-to-GDP ratio.
|Date of creation:||19 Feb 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: +353-1-283 0068
Web page: http://www.ucd.ie/economics
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frank Barry & Stephen Pavelin, 2003.
"The Single Market and The Geographical Diversification of Leading Firms in the EU,"
200305, School Of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Stephen Pavelin & Frank Barry, 2005. "The Single Market and the Geographical Diversification of Leading Firms in the EU," The Economic and Social Review, Economic and Social Studies, vol. 36(1), pages 1–17.
- Henrik Braconier & Karolina Ekholm, 2002.
"Foreign Direct Investment in Central and Eastern Europe: Employment Effects in the EU,"
Development Working Papers
161, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Braconier, Henrik & Ekholm, Karolina, 2001. "Foreign Direct Investment in Central and Eastern Europe: Employment Effects in the EU," CEPR Discussion Papers 3052, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- James R. Markusen, 1998. "Multinational Firms, Location and Trade," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 21(6), pages 733-756, 08.
- Neary, J Peter, 2002.
"Foreign Direct Investment and the Single Market,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3419, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- J. Peter Neary, 2001. "Foreign Direct Investment and the Single Market," Development Working Papers 160, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
- J Peter Neary, 2001. "Foreign Direct Iinvestment and the Single Market," Working Papers 200124, School Of Economics, University College Dublin.
- James R. Markusen, 1995. "The Boundaries of Multinational Enterprises and the Theory of International Trade," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(2), pages 169-189, Spring.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ucn:wpaper:200308. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nicolas Clifton)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.