Contenido informativo de los cambios de Rating en el mercado de Valores Español
This work analyzes the effect of corporate bond rating rating changes over stock prices. This topic has not been analyzed before on the Spanish stock market. They are analyzed changes in the qualification of debt risk granted by agencies like Moody's or Standard and Poor's among others. On an efficient market, if these changes contain new information it should be observed some type of response. The used methodology is the event study. The evidence indicates that bond rating changes contain useful information. Rating downgrades cause significantly negative abnormal returns. Surprinsingly, the upgrades have the same effect. The investors can be interpreting these raises as bad news, if they were waiting for a better upgrade.
|Date of creation:||2003|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: +34 913942604|
Web page: https://www.ucm.es/icae
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales. Pabellón prefabricado, 1ª Planta, ala norte. Campus de Somosaguas, 28223 - POZUELO DE ALARCÓN (MADRID)|
Web: https://www.ucm.es/fundamentos-analisis-economico2/documentos-de-trabajo-del-icae Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hand, John R M & Holthausen, Robert W & Leftwich, Richard W, 1992. " The Effect of Bond Rating Agency Announcements on Bond and Stock Prices," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(2), pages 733-752, June.
- Crouhy, Michel & Galai, Dan & Mark, Robert, 2001. "Prototype risk rating system," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 47-95, January.
- Maynes, Elizabeth & Rumsey, John, 1993. "Conducting event studies with thinly traded stocks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 145-157, February.
- Impson, C Michael & Karafiath, Imre & Glascock, John L, 1992. "Testing Beta Stationarity across Bond Rating Changes," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 27(4), pages 607-618, November.
- Holthausen, Robert W. & Leftwich, Richard W., 1986. "The effect of bond rating changes on common stock prices," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 57-89, September.
- Corrado, Charles J., 1989. "A nonparametric test for abnormal security-price performance in event studies," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 385-395, August.
- Nayar, Nandkumar & Rozeff, Michael S, 1994. " Ratings, Commercial Paper, and Equity Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(4), pages 1431-1449, September.
- Brown, Stephen J. & Warner, Jerold B., 1985. "Using daily stock returns : The case of event studies," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 3-31, March.
- Griffin, Paul A & Sanvicente, Antonio Z, 1982. " Common Stock Returns and Rating Changes: A Methodological Comparison," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 37(1), pages 103-119, March.
- John D. Lyon & Brad M. Barber & Chih-Ling Tsai, 1999. "Improved Methods for Tests of Long-Run Abnormal Stock Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(1), pages 165-201, 02.
- Cable, John & Holland, Kevin, 1999. "Regression vs. non-regression models of normal returns: implications for event studies," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 81-85, July.
- Richard Followill & Terrence Martell, 1997. "Bond review and rating change announcements: An examination of informational value and market efficiency," Journal of Economics and Finance, Springer;Academy of Economics and Finance, vol. 21(2), pages 75-82, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ucm:doicae:0304. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Águeda González Abad)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.