A Proposal to Introduce the ECU First in the East
First problem: Some of the countries of Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union are sufficiently eager for price stability that they are willing to sacrifice monetary sovereignty, and to tie their fate to a reliable international currency. Neither the deutschemark nor the dollar, however, quite fits the bill to be that currency. Second problem: Western Europe is eager to make progress toward its goal of monetary union by 1999, with the ECU (European Currency Unit) as the common currency, but momentum is stalled. Solution to both problems: The ECU should receive its "first run" as a lawful medium of exchange in one of those Eastern European countries.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||01 Jun 1995|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: University of California at Berkeley, Berkeley, CA USA|
Web page: http://www.haas.berkeley.edu/groups/iber/wps/ciderwp.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: IBER, F502 Haas Building, University of California at Berkeley, Berkeley CA 94720-1922|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barry Eichengreen and Beth Simmons., 1993.
"International Economics and Domestic Politics: Notes on the 1920s,"
Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers
C93-029, University of California at Berkeley.
- Eichengreen, Barry & Simmons, Beth, 1993. "International Economics and Domestic Politics: Notes on the 1920s," Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers 233212, University of California-Berkeley, Department of Economics.
- John Williamson, 1995. "What Role of Currency Boards?," Peterson Institute Press: Policy Analyses in International Economics, Peterson Institute for International Economics, number pa40.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ucb:calbcd:c95-055. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.