This paper proposes to measure the mobility of a stochastic process as the expected value of a "mobility functional" with respect to its stationary distribution. The mobility functional thereby measures the valuation of movements between states. We not only highlight the conceptual advantages of our approach, but also show how this so-called "equilibrium mobility index" relates to the axiomatic approach by Fields and Ok (7) and the approach based on monotone transition matrices by Conlisk (4) and Dardanoni (5))
|Date of creation:||May 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Schanzeneckstr. 1, PF 8573, CH-3001 Bern|
Phone: 0041 31 631 45 06
Fax: 41 31 631 37 83
Web page: http://www.vwi.unibe.ch/content/publikationen/index_eng.html
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dardanoni Valentino, 1993. "Measuring Social Mobility," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 372-394, December.
- Robert Aebi & Klaus Neusser & Peter Steiner, 2006.
"A Large Deviation Approach to the Measurement of Mobility,"
Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES),
Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 142(II), pages 195-222, June.
- Robert Aebi & Klaus Neusser & Peter Steiner, 2005. "A Large Deviation Approach to the Measurement of Mobility," Diskussionsschriften dp0518, Universitaet Bern, Departement Volkswirtschaft.
- Robert Aebi & Klaus Neusser & Peter Steiner, 2002. "A Large Deviation Approach to the Measurement of Mobility," Diskussionsschriften dp0220, Universitaet Bern, Departement Volkswirtschaft.
- Tapan Mitra & Efe A. Ok, 1998. "The measurement of income mobility: A partial ordering approach," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 12(1), pages 77-102.
- Shorrocks, A F, 1978. "The Measurement of Mobility," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(5), pages 1013-24, September.
- Geweke, John & Marshall, Robert C & Zarkin, Gary A, 1986. "Mobility Indices in Continuous Time Markov Chains," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(6), pages 1407-23, November.
- Fields, Gary S. & Ok, Efe A., 1996. "The Meaning and Measurement of Income Mobility," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 349-377, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ube:dpvwib:dp0408. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Silvia Glusstein-Gerber)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Silvia Glusstein-Gerber to update the entry or send us the correct email address
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.