Signaling with Capital Structure Revisited
We consider a signaling model with a good and a bad type of firm. The market does a priori not know the firm's type. The firms, which are run by equally qualified managers, can use their debt level to signal their true value to the market. In addition to debt, the manager chooses his effort level, which directly affects the firm's product market returns. The effort choice interacts with the signaling mechanism of debt issue and affects the equilibrium debt level. As a result, it is not always possible to derive the type of firm from its capital structure
|Date of creation:||Nov 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Schanzeneckstr. 1, PF 8573, CH-3001 Bern|
Phone: 0041 31 631 45 06
Fax: 41 31 631 37 83
Web page: http://www.vwi.unibe.ch/content/publikationen/index_eng.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Milgrom, Paul & Roberts, John, 1986.
"Price and Advertising Signals of Product Quality,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(4), pages 796-821, August.
- Brick, Ivan E & Frierman, Michael & Kim, Yu Kyung, 1998. "Asymmetric Information concerning the Variance of Cash Flows: The Capital Structure Choice," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 39(3), pages 745-61, August.
- Eckbo, B. Espen, 1986. "Valuation effects of corporate debt offerings," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1-2), pages 119-151.
- Masulis, Ronald W. & Korwar, Ashok N., 1986. "Seasoned equity offerings : An empirical investigation," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1-2), pages 91-118.
- Ravid, S. Abraham & Sarig, Oded H., 1991. "Financial Signalling by Committing to Cash Outflows," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 26(02), pages 165-180, June.
- Robert Gertner & Robert Gibbons & David Scharfstein, 1988.
"Simultaneous Signalling to the Capital and Product Markets,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 19(2), pages 173-190, Summer.
- Robert Gertner & Robert Gibbons & David Scharfstein, 1987. "Simultaneous Signaling to the Capital and Product Markets," Working papers 449, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Gertner, Robert H. & Gibbons, Robert. & Scharfstein, David., 1987. "Simultaneous signaling to the capital and product markets," Working papers 1917-87., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Ross, Stephen A, 1978. "Some Notes on Financial Incentive-Signalling Models, Activity Choice and Risk Preferences," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 33(3), pages 777-92, June.
- Asquith, Paul & Mullins, David Jr., 1986. "Equity issues and offering dilution," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1-2), pages 61-89.
- Brick, Ivan E. & Fisher, Lawrence, 1987. "Effects of Classifying Equity or Debt on the Value of the Firm under Tax Asymmetry," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(04), pages 383-399, December.
- Mikkelson, Wayne H. & Partch, M. Megan, 1986. "Valuation effects of security offerings and the issuance process," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1-2), pages 31-60.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ube:dpvwib:dp0214. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Silvia Glusstein-Gerber)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Silvia Glusstein-Gerber to update the entry or send us the correct email address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.