How to Measure the Outcome of Innovations: Application to Product Innovations
This paper provided a conceptual framework to quantify consumer gains from product innovations. Using an example of VCRs, we illustrate a model that is useful to measure consumer welfare, and describe what data are to be used for the analysis. We also make a selective survey of papers that measure the consumer welfare of product innovations and discuss advantages and limitations of the analytical framework.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.cirje.e.u-tokyo.ac.jp/index.html
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hiroshi Ohashi, 2003. "The Role of Network Effects in the US VCR Market, 1978-1986," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(4), pages 447-494, December.
- Amil Petrin, 2002. "Quantifying the Benefits of New Products: The Case of the Minivan," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 110(4), pages 705-729, August.
- Hausman, Jerry, 1999.
"Cellular Telephone, New Products, and the CPI,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 17(2), pages 188-94, April.
- Ohashi, Hiroshi, 2002. "Anticipatory effects of voluntary export restraints: a study of home video cassette recorders market, 1978-86," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(1), pages 83-105, June.
- Hiroshi Ohashi, 2003. "Econometric analysis of price index for home video cassette recorders in the U.S., 1978-1987," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(2), pages 179-197.
- Steven T. Berry, 1994. "Estimating Discrete-Choice Models of Product Differentiation," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 25(2), pages 242-262, Summer.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tky:fseres:2008cf555. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CIRJE administrative office)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.