Immigration and the demand for life insurance: Evidence from Canada, 1911
This paper analyses the determinants of the demand for life insurance using sample data from the 1911 Census of Canada. We find that immigrants’ demand for life insurance was on average around seven percent lower than that of native born Canadians and varied depending on the time that elapsed since immigration. The results imply substantially lower risk aversion of immigrants and possibly indicate the importance of personal networks for informal risk sharing that could evolve over time. We also find that the value of life insurance held by immigrants increases with time elapsing since immigration and converge towards the value of individuals born in Canada.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (+ 353 1) 6081325
Web page: http://www.tcd.ie/Economics/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Catalina Amuedo-Dorantes & Susan Pozo, 2002. "Precautionary Saving by Young Immigrants and Young Natives," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 69(1), pages 48-71, July.
- Matteo, Livio Di, 1997. "The Determinants of the Wealth and Asset Holding in Nineteenth-Century Canada: Evidence from Microdata," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 57(04), pages 907-934, December.
- Alan G. Green & Mary MacKinnon & Chris Minns, 2002. "Dominion or Republic? Migrants to North America from the United Kingdom, 1870–1910," Economic History Review, Economic History Society, vol. 55(4), pages 666-696, November.
- Karol Jan BOROWIECKI, 2011.
"Geographic Clustering and Productivity: An Instrumental Variable Approach for Classical Composers,"
Trinity Economics Papers
tep0611, Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics.
- Borowiecki, Karol Jan, 2013. "Geographic clustering and productivity: An instrumental variable approach for classical composers," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 94-110.
- Borowiecki, Karol Jan, 2011. "Geographic Clustering and Productivity: An Instrumental Variable Approach for Classical Composers," Annual Conference 2011 (Frankfurt, Main): The Order of the World Economy - Lessons from the Crisis 48738, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Lewis, Frank D, 1989. "Dependents and the Demand for Life Insurance," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(3), pages 452-67, June.
- MR Rosenzweig, 2001. "Savings behaviour in low-income countries," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 17(1), pages 40-54, Spring.
- Jaeger, David A. & Bonin, Holger & Dohmen, Thomas & Falk, Armin & Huffman, David B. & Sunde, Uwe, 2007.
"Direct Evidence on Risk Attitudes and Migration,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2655, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- David A. Jaeger & Holger Bonin & Thomas Dohmen & Armin Falk & David Huffman & Uwe Sunde, 2007. "Direct Evidence on Risk Attitudes and Migration," Working Papers 50, Department of Economics, College of William and Mary.
- Jaeger David A. & Dohmen Thomas & Falk Armin & Huffman David & Sunde Uwe & Bonin Holger, 2008. "Direct Evidence in Risk Attitudes and Migration," ROA Research Memorandum 011, Maastricht University, Research Centre for Education and the Labour Market (ROA).
- Jaeger, David A. & Dohmen, Thomas J. & Falk, Armin & Huffman, David & Sunde, Uwe & Bonin, Holger, 2010. "Direct evidence on risk attitudes and migration," Munich Reprints in Economics 19528, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- David A. Jaeger & Holger Bonin & Thomas Dohmen & Armin Falk & David Huffman & Uwe Sunde, 2007. "Direct Evidence on Risk Attitudes and Migration," CReAM Discussion Paper Series 0703, Centre for Research and Analysis of Migration (CReAM), Department of Economics, University College London.
- Kantor, Shawn Everett & Fishback, Price V, 1996. "Precautionary Saving, Insurance, and the Origins of Workers' Compensation," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(2), pages 419-42, April.
- David Stead, 2004. "Risk and risk management in English agriculture, c. 1750-1850," Economic History Review, Economic History Society, vol. 57(2), pages 334-361, 05.
- Carter, Susan B. & Sutch, Richard, 1996. "Myth of the Industrial Scrap Heap: A Revisionist View of Turn-of-the-Century American Retirement," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 56(01), pages 5-38, March.
- Di Matteo, Livio & Herbert Emery, J. C., 2002. "Wealth and the demand for life insurance: evidence from Ontario, 1892," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 39(4), pages 446-469, October.
- Campbell, Ritchie A, 1980. " The Demand for Life Insurance: An Application of the Economics of Uncertainty," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 35(5), pages 1155-72, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tcd:tcduee:tep1511. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Patricia Hughes)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.