Michal Kalecki and Rosa Luxemburg on Marx’s schemes of reproduction: two incisive interpreters of capitalism
Both Rosa Luxemburg and Michal Kalecki utilised Marx’s scheme’s or reproduction as the starting point of their analysis of economic dynamics. However, Luxemburg did not realise that they were not meant to serve as models of capitalist growth, but rather to show that the conditions for stable growth were unachievable. Luxemburg was an early proponent of the stagnationist thesis which was popularised by Kalecki, Steindl, Baran and Sweezy. She argued that capitalist economies were doomed to stagnate unless markets outside the capitalist arena could be utilised, although she also acknowledged the importance of government expenditure on armaments. Kalecki, while acknowledging some of the limitations of her analysis, was able to extend it to incorporate the main elements of modern capitalist growth.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Australian School of Business Building, Sydney 2052|
Fax: +61)-2- 9313- 6337
Web page: http://www.economics.unsw.edu.au/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Harris, Donald J, 1975. "The Theory of Economic Growth: A Critique and Reformulation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 65(2), pages 329-37, May.
- Sardoni, Claudio, 1981. "Multi-Sectoral Models of Balanced Growth and the Marxian Schemes of Expanded Reproduction," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 20(37), pages 383-97, December.
- Halevi, J. & Kriesler, P., 1995. "Marx or Hicks? Structural Proportions and Crisis: The Transition from the First to the Third Volume of Capital," Papers 95/37, New South Wales - School of Economics.
- Peter Kriesler & G. C. Harcourt, 2010. "The Influence of Michal Kalecki on Joan Robinson’s Approach to Economics," Discussion Papers 2010-21, School of Economics, The University of New South Wales.
- T. W. Swan, 1956. "ECONOMIC GROWTH and CAPITAL ACCUMULATION," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 32(2), pages 334-361, November.
- Desai, Meghnad & Veneziani, Roberto, 2005. "Rosa Luxemburg’s critique of Marx’s schemes of reproduction: a re-evaluation and a possible generalisation," MPRA Paper 30449, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:swe:wpaper:2012-34. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gabriele Gratton)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.