The Impact of Tuition Fees on University Access: Evidence from a Large-scale Price Deregulation in Professional Programs
Previous studies investigating the role of rising tuition fees in university enrolment by socio-economic background have focused on the fee changes registered among undergraduate programs over the 1990s. Over this period, no changes in enrolment patterns were observed, possibly because the tuition fee increases were small in absolute terms and gradual. This study examines the impact of a very large and sudden deregulation of tuition fees in Ontario professional programs in the late 1990s. The findings suggest that the enrolment gap between students from higher and lower socio-economic backgrounds rose substantially in Ontario, where the deregulation of professional programs was more prominent. In provinces like Quebec and British Columbia, where tuition fees remained stable, no change in the enrolment gap was registered.
|Date of creation:||27 Sep 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Tunney's Pasture, Ottawa, Ontario, K1A 0T6|
Web page: http://www.statcan.gc.ca
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Corak, Miles & Lipps, Garth & Zhao, John, 2004.
"Family Income and Participation in Post-Secondary Education,"
IZA Discussion Papers
977, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Zhao, John & Lipps, Garth & Corak, Miles, 2003. "Family Income and Participation in Post-secondary Education," Analytical Studies Branch Research Paper Series 2003210e, Statistics Canada, Analytical Studies Branch.
- Frenette, Marc, 2005. "Is Post-secondary Access More Equitable in Canada or the United States?," Analytical Studies Branch Research Paper Series 2005244e, Statistics Canada, Analytical Studies Branch.
- Moffitt, Robert A., 1999. "New developments in econometric methods for labor market analysis," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 24, pages 1367-1397 Elsevier.
- Laporte, Christine & Finnie, Ross & Lascelles, Eric, 2004. "Family Background and Access to Post-secondary Education: What Happened over the 1990s?," Analytical Studies Branch Research Paper Series 2004226e, Statistics Canada, Analytical Studies Branch.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:stc:stcp3e:2005263e. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Brown)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.