A General Equilibrium Evaluation of Aggregate Welfare Effects from Improved Sectoral Efficiency . Empirical Evidence for Norway
This paper discusses and shows how a CGE model can be used to assess welfare effects of structural policy reforms targeting inefficiency problems at micro levels that normally are not captured in operational CGE-models. The CGE approach allows computation of shadow prices which are generally both unobservable due to various price distortions, and endogenous. Moreover, the paper discusses how static measures of sectoral inefficiency can be implemented in a CGE-model that accounts for real world dynamics. Results from CGE-simulations suggest that general equilibrium effects have substantial influence on welfare, at least when the initial waste of resources is as large as reported in sector studies for Norway. More precisely, compared to the CGE-estimate a partial equilibrium approach overestimates the welfare gain by more than 30 percent.
|Date of creation:||Aug 1998|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O.Box 8131 Dep, N-0033 Oslo, Norway|
Phone: (+47) 21 09 00 00
Fax: +47 - 62 88 55 95
Web page: http://www.ssb.no/en/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Turnovsky, Stephen J., 1991.
"Tariffs and sectoral adjustments in an open economy,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 53-89.
- Turnovsky, S.J., 1990. "Tariffs And Sectoral Adjustments In An Open Economy," Discussion Papers in Economics at the University of Washington 90-13, Department of Economics at the University of Washington.
- Stephen J. Turnovsky, 1990. "Tariffs and Sectoral Adjustments in an Open Economy," NBER Working Papers 3315, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Turnovsky, S.J., 1990. "Tariffs And Sectoral Adjustments In An Open Economy," Working Papers 90-13, University of Washington, Department of Economics.
- Aasness, Jorgen & Biorn, Erik & Skjerpen, Terje, 1993. "Engel Functions, Panel Data, and Latent Variables," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(6), pages 1395-1422, November.
- Holmoy, Erling & Vennemo, Haakon, 1995. "A general equilibrium assessment of a suggested reform in capital income taxation," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 17(6), pages 531-556, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ssb:dispap:224. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (L MaasÃ¸)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.