Funding and operation of stadiums and arenas beside high-class leagues
Financing and operating stadiums and arenas beside the respective national high-class leagues are demanding tasks for those involved, mostly clubs or local governments. In the majority of cases, the affected clubs and teams heavily rely on ticket and catering revenues or sponsorships since the marketing of TV rights is of negligible importance. Nevertheless, the respective stadiums and arenas are often old and lack modern comfort on account of budget constraints impeding capital spending by clubs or governments. Starting from these observations and considering the features of the relevant sports facilities, we examine which funding and operating models could improve the endowment with stadiums and arenas in an efficiency-maximizing way and derive helpful recommandations for clubs, policy makers and private investors. For this purpose, we also establish four criteria to assess the efficiency of any stadium or arena construction and operation models, namely funding efficiency, cost efficiency, management efficiency and allocation efficiency. (Note: This paper is in German.)
|Date of creation:||Jun 2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.cdes.fr/index.php?id=fr69|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Steven Tadelis & Oliver E.Williamson, 2012.
"Transaction Cost Economics,"
Introductory Chapters,in: Robert Gibbons & John Roberts (ed.), : The Handbook of Organizational Economics
Princeton University Press.
- Williamson, Oliver E., 1989. "Transaction cost economics," Handbook of Industrial Organization,in: R. Schmalensee & R. Willig (ed.), Handbook of Industrial Organization, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 3, pages 135-182 Elsevier.
- Pauli, Markus, 2002. "Kooperationsformen der Stadionfinanzierung im deutschen Profifußball," Ökonomik der Kooperation, Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, edition 1, volume 1, number urn:isbn:9783161478383, December.
- John J. Siegfried & Andrew Zimbalist, 2000. "The Economics of Sports Facilities and Their Communities," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 14(3), pages 95-114, Summer.
- Klein, Benjamin & Crawford, Robert G & Alchian, Armen A, 1978. "Vertical Integration, Appropriable Rents, and the Competitive Contracting Process," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 21(2), pages 297-326, October.
- Dennis Coates & Brad R. Humphreys, 2003. "Professional Sports Facilities, Franchises and Urban Economic Development," UMBC Economics Department Working Papers 03-103, UMBC Department of Economics. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)