Bias in the Mean Reversion Estimator in Continuous-Time Gaussian and Lévy Processes
This paper develops the approximate finite-sample bias of the ordinary least squares or quasi max- imum likelihood estimator of the mean reversion parameter in continuous-time Levy processes. For the special case of Gaussian processes, our results reduce to those of Tang and Chen (2009) (when the long-run mean is unknown) and Yu (2012) (when the long-run mean is known). Simulations show that in general the approximate bias works well in capturing the true bias of the mean reversion estimator under difference scenarios. However, when the time span is small and the mean reversion parameter is approaching its lower bound, we nd it more difficult to approximate well the finite-sample bias.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2013|
|Publication status:||Published in SMU Economics and Statistics Working Paper Series|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 90 Stamford Road, Singapore 178903|
Phone: 65-6828 0832
Fax: 65-6828 0833
Web page: http://www.economics.smu.edu.sg/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vasicek, Oldrich, 1977. "An equilibrium characterization of the term structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 177-188, November.
- Yu, Jun, 2012.
"Bias in the estimation of the mean reversion parameter in continuous time models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 169(1), pages 114-122.
- Jun Yu, 2009. "Bias in the Estimation of the Mean Reversion Parameter in Continuous Time Models," Microeconomics Working Papers 23045, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Jun Yu, 2009. "Bias in the Estimation of the Mean Reversion Parameter in Continuous Time Models," Working Papers 16-2009, Singapore Management University, School of Economics.
- Ullah, Aman, 2004. "Finite Sample Econometrics," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774488.
- John C. Cox & Jonathan E. Ingersoll Jr. & Stephen A. Ross, 2005. "A Theory Of The Term Structure Of Interest Rates," World Scientific Book Chapters,in: Theory Of Valuation, chapter 5, pages 129-164 World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Cox, John C & Ingersoll, Jonathan E, Jr & Ross, Stephen A, 1985. "A Theory of the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(2), pages 385-407, March.
- Vasicek, Oldrich Alfonso, 1977. "Abstract: An Equilibrium Characterization of the Term Structure," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(04), pages 627-627, November.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-654, May-June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:siu:wpaper:02-2013. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (QL THor)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.