Improving the Quality of the Input in the Term Structure Consistent Models
In finance, getting an accurate estimation of the term structure of interest rates is essential because this information is often used as input by other pricing financial models. In this paper, we point out the importance of selecting a suitable estimation of the term structure of interest rates. To show this fact, we use the Spanish Bond Market to estimate the initial interest rate and forward curves for one day, by using both McCulloch (1975) cubic polynomial splines, and Legendre's polynomials (Morini, 1998). We use these curves as input for pricing pure discount bonds with the Ho and Lee (1986) and Hull and White (1990) models. Then, we find the important result that using an inadequate interest rate curve affects dramatically the behaviour of the dynamic term structure models and, consequently, the estimation of the asset pricing models
|Date of creation:||01 Sep 2001|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: I-80126 Napoli|
Phone: +39 081 - 675372
Fax: +39 081 - 675372
Web page: http://www.csef.it/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- McCulloch, J Huston, 1971.
"Measuring the Term Structure of Interest Rates,"
The Journal of Business,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 44(1), pages 19-31, January.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "RATS program to estimate term structure with cubic splines," Statistical Software Components RTZ00019, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Ho, Thomas S Y & Lee, Sang-bin, 1986. " Term Structure Movements and Pricing Interest Rate Contingent Claims," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 41(5), pages 1011-1029, December.
- McCulloch, J Huston, 1975. "The Tax-Adjusted Yield Curve," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 30(3), pages 811-830, June.
- Chris Strickland, 1996. "A comparison of diffusion models of the term structure," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 2(1), pages 103-123.
- Hull, John & White, Alan, 1990. "Pricing Interest-Rate-Derivative Securities," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 3(4), pages 573-592. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sef:csefwp:70. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lia Ambrosio)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.