Applications Of Public Global Optimization Software To Difficult Econometric Functions
The location of the global optimum is very desirable in nonlinear parameter estimation problems. Using a local rather than global optimum most likely will result in inconsistent estimators. While many commercial software packages have good optimization routines, these usually only find local optima. Some of these commercial packages also have only limited capability to express constraints. Likewise, these packages often do not allow users to define their own functions.There is a large and growing amount of freely available software that has a good chance of locating the global optimum. New techniques are being developed and existing methods are being refined. Much of the software can be downloaded over the Internet.This research will survey this software and compare different techniques. Methods of obtaining the software will also be discussed. Finally some of the more promising software will be applied to difficult econometric functions (GARCH models and disequilibrium models).
|Date of creation:||05 Jul 2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: +34 93 542 17 46
Web page: http://enginy.upf.es/SCE/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Goffe, William L & Ferrier, Gary D & Rogers, John, 1992. "Simulated Annealing: An Initial Application in Econometrics," Computer Science in Economics & Management, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 5(2), pages 133-46, May.
- Fair, Ray C & Jaffee, Dwight M, 1972. "Methods of Estimation for Markets in Disequilibrium," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 40(3), pages 497-514, May.
- Maddala, G S & Nelson, Forrest D, 1974. "Maximum Likelihood Methods for Models of Markets in Disequilibrium," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 42(6), pages 1013-30, November.
- Goffe, William L. & Ferrier, Gary D. & Rogers, John, 1994. "Global optimization of statistical functions with simulated annealing," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 60(1-2), pages 65-99.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Fair, Ray C & Kelejian, Harry H, 1974. "Methods of Estimation for Markets in Disequilibrium: A Further Study," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 42(1), pages 177-90, January.
- Mayer, Walter J., 1989. "Estimating disequilibrium models with limited a priori price-adjustment information," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 303-320, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sce:scecf0:161. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.