Automatic Differentiation and Interval Arithmetic for Estimation of Disequilibrium Models
Fair and Jaffeen[Fair and Jaffee1972] considered the econometrics of models of markets which were not in equilibrium. The estimation of disequilibrium models has proved difficult. Because of this the model was chosen to be a member of a test suite of optimization problems by Dorsey and Mayern[Dorsey a nd Mayer1955] to compare various optimization techniques. Dorsey and Mayer were chiefly interested in evaluating newly developed global optimization techniques, particularly simulated annealing and genetic algorithms as applied to troubling problems. They find that the disequilibrium model also was a difficult estimation problem for both simulated annealing and genetic algorithms. They do not report success for either technique.
|Date of creation:|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Department of Econometrics, University of Geneva, 102 Bd Carl-Vogt, 1211 Geneva 4, Switzerland|
Web page: http://www.unige.ch/ce/ce96/welcome.html
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Goffe, William L & Ferrier, Gary D & Rogers, John, 1992. "Simulated Annealing: An Initial Application in Econometrics," Computer Science in Economics & Management, Kluwer;Society for Computational Economics, vol. 5(2), pages 133-46, May.
- Fair, Ray C & Jaffee, Dwight M, 1972. "Methods of Estimation for Markets in Disequilibrium," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 40(3), pages 497-514, May.
- Kalaba, Robert & Tishler, Asher, 1984. "Automatic Derivative Evaluation in the Optimization of Nonlinear Models," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 66(4), pages 653-60, November.
- Maddala, G S & Nelson, Forrest D, 1974. "Maximum Likelihood Methods for Models of Markets in Disequilibrium," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 42(6), pages 1013-30, November.
- Kalaba, Robert E. & Plum, Thomas & Tesfatsion, Leigh S., 1987. "Automation of Nested Matrix and Derivative Operations," Staff General Research Papers Archive 11202, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Tesfatsion, Leigh, 1991. "Automatic Evaluation of Higher-Order Partial Derivatives for Nonlocal Sensitivity Analysis," Staff General Research Papers Archive 11183, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Jerrell, Max E, 1994. "Global Optimization Using Interval Arithmetic," Computational Economics, Springer;Society for Computational Economics, vol. 7(1), pages 55-62, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sce:scecf6:_028. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.