The Adoption Of Accrual Accounting In Flemish Public Centres For Social Welfare: Examining The Importance Of Agents Of Change
This study examines the importance of different agents of change in the adoption of public sector accrual accounting. For this purpose, an accounting index is used and applied on a large sample of Flemish local governments to analyse the level of adoption of the altered accounting requirements. The impact of a number of prominent agents is empirically tested on the level of adoption in a cross-sectional way. The study draws on institutional theory to build a framework for analysis and uses additional interviews to interpret the findings. The research shows that the de facto implementation of the new accounting requirements is limited and strongly influenced by local management’s interest and the involvement of professional consultants. In the absence of a sound guidance and monitoring process, the skilful action of dedicated agents of change has become important to implement some far-reaching changes in the organisations’ accounting system.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Hoveniersberg 4, B-9000 Gent|
Phone: ++ 32 (0) 9 264 34 61
Fax: ++ 32 (0) 9 264 35 92
Web page: http://www.ugent.be/eb
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Haas, Peter M., 1992. "Introduction: epistemic communities and international policy coordination," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 46(01), pages 1-35, December.
- repec:eme:aaajpp:v:19:y:2006:i:2:p:272-290 is not listed on IDEAS
- Fligstein, Neil, 2001. "Social Skill and the Theory of Fields," Center for Culture, Organizations and Politics, Working Paper Series qt26m187b1, Center for Culture, Organizations and Politics of theInstitute for Research on Labor and Employment, UC Berkeley.
- Irvine Lapsley & Rosie Oldfield, 2001. "Transforming the public sector: management consultants as agents of change," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(3), pages 523-543.
- Giroux, Gary & McLelland, Andrew J., 2003. "Governance structures and accounting at large municipalities," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 203-230.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rug:rugwps:07/451. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nathalie Verhaeghe)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.