A Solution for General Exchange Markets with Indivisible Goods when Indifferences Are Allowed
It is well known that the core of an exchange market with indivisible goods is always non empty, although it may contain Pareto inecient allocations. The strict core solves this shortcoming when indiff erences are not allowed, but when agents' preferences are weak orders the strict core may be empty. On the other hand, when indifferences are allowed, the core or the strict core may fail to be stable sets, in the von Neumann and Morgenstern sense. We introduce a new solution concept that improves the behaviour of the strict core, in the sense that it solves the emptiness problem of the strict core when indifferences are allowed in the individuals' preferences and whenever the strict core is non-empty, our solution is included on it. We de fine our proposal, the MS-set, by using a stability property (m-stability ) that the strict core fulfills. Finally, we provide a min-max interpretation for this new solution.
|Date of creation:||23 Apr 2013|
|Date of revision:||12 Feb 2014|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: +34 965 90 36 70|
Phone: +34 965 90 36 70
Fax: +34 965 90 97 89
Web page: http://web.ua.es/es/dmcte
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Roth, Alvin E. & Postlewaite, Andrew, 1977. "Weak versus strong domination in a market with indivisible goods," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 131-137, August.
- Shapley, Lloyd & Scarf, Herbert, 1974. "On cores and indivisibility," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 23-37, March.
- Thomas Quint & Jun Wako, 2004. "On Houseswapping, the Strict Core, Segmentation, and Linear Programming," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm373, Yale School of Management.
- Peris, Josep E. & Subiza, Begoña, 2013. "A reformulation of von Neumann–Morgenstern stability: m-stability," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 51-55.
- Josep Enric Peris Ferrando & Begoña Subiza Martínez, 1992.
"Maximal elements of non necessarily acyclic binary relations,"
Working Papers. Serie AD
1992-07, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Peris, Josep E. & Subiza, Begona, 1994. "Maximal elements of not necessarily acyclic binary relations," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 44(4), pages 385-388, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:qmetal:2012_018. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julio Carmona)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.