Food demand for quality in Egypt
The study objective was the estimation of the food demand for quality of perishable food commodity groups. The magnitude of the estimated elasticity of demand for food quality would indicate to the incentives the market provides to the market stages, to supply food quality,. The cross section data of the household budget survey of Egypt in 2009 were used to estimate per capita income-consumption function. The income elasticity of food demand for quality was derived from the food demand for expenditure value and the food demand for quantity. ANCOV model was applied to investigate the effect of annual per capita income, the effect of the region (Urban and Rural) and the Interaction effect of both variables on food Demand. The study concluded that the demand for food quality is very low for the concerned food commodities (Dairy products, fresh red meat, fresh fish, oranges and tomastoes). Therefore, development of the Egyptian market for food quality can not depends upon the consumer’s doller spread over the marketing stages. The sudy provided recommendations towards a national program for providing other incentives for thefood marketing stages to adopt food quality control and surveillance, in spite of the low demand for food quality
|Date of creation:||Dec 2012|
|Date of revision:||May 2012|
|Publication status:||Published in The Sustainmed Project: Sustainable Agri-Food Systems and Rural Development in the Mediterranean Partner Countries wp5_food_safety_egypt_20130121 (2012): pp. 1-12|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jacinto F. Fabiosa & Ibrahim Soliman, 2008.
"Egypt's Household Expenditure Pattern: Does It Alleviate a Food Crisis?,"
Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications
08-wp475, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Jacinto F. Fabiosa & Ibrahim Soliman, 2008. "Egypt's Household Expenditure Pattern: Does It Alleviate a Food Crisis?," Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) Publications 08-wp475, Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) at Iowa State University.
- F.Fabiosa, Jacinto & Soliman, Ibrahim, 2008. "Egypt household expenditure pattern Does it alternative a food crisis?," MPRA Paper 67557, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Soliman, Ibrahim & Eid, Nafissa, 1995.
"Impacts Of Egyptian Socio-Economic Environment On Dietary Pattern And Adequacy,"
107278, Zagazig University, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Soliman, Ibrahim & Eid, Nafissa, 1995. "Impacts Of Egyptian Socio-Economic Environment On Dietary Pattern And Adequacy," Reprints 208993, Zagazig University, Department of Agricultural Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:66996. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.