Gold price movements in selected currencies: wavelet approach
Investment in gold has been in demand for the past few years especially in hedging strategies. At the same time, various calls for gold to go back to its historical function even before the coming of Islam have been popular among Islamic scholars due to its characteristic of having intrinsic value as compared to the fiat money enhancing the argument for those supporting gold as a currency. Many studies have been dedicated to the relationships between gold and various commodities and suggesting gold as a hedge against the dollar. This study intends to see the relationship of selected currencies in the price of gold to see the movements and how gold has been performing in different sectors. The wavelet approach is used to show the different movements of paired currencies (US index-US Gold, US Gold-Euro Gold, US Gold-Ringgit Gold, and Euro Gold-Pound Gold) in terms of their gold price in different time horizons (time scales). The findings of the study are of benefit to gold investors especially for diversification and investment purposes.
|Date of creation:||12 Aug 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Toraman, Cengiz & Basarir, Cagatay & Bayramoglu, Mehmet Fatih, 2011. "Determination of Factors Affecting the Price of Gold: A Study of MGARCH Model," Business and Economics Research Journal, Uludag University, Faculty of Economics and Administrative Sciences, vol. 2(4), pages 1-37, October.
- Inagaki, Kazuyuki, 2007. "Testing for volatility spillover between the British pound and the euro," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 161-174, June.
- Malik, Ali Khalil, 2005. "European exchange rate volatility dynamics: an empirical investigation," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 187-215, January.
- Masih, Mansur & Alzahrani, Mohammed & Al-Titi, Omar, 2010. "Systematic risk and time scales: New evidence from an application of wavelet approach to the emerging Gulf stock markets," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 10-18, January.
- Capie, Forrest & Mills, Terence C. & Wood, Geoffrey, 2005. "Gold as a hedge against the dollar," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 343-352, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:62347. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.