Copula based simulation procedures for pricing basket Credit Derivatives
This paper deals with the impact of structure of dependency and the choice of procedures for rare-event simulation on the pricing of multi-name credit derivatives such as nth to default swap and Collateralized Debt Obligations (CDO). The correlation between names defaulting has an effect on the value of the basket credit derivatives. We present a copula based simulation procedure for pricing basket default swaps and CDO under different structure of dependency and assessing the influence of different price drivers (correlation, hazard rates and recovery rates) on modelling portfolio losses. Gaussian copulas and Monte Carlo simulation is widely used to measure the default risk in basket credit derivatives. Default risk is often considered as a rare-event and then, many studies have shown that many distributions have fatter tails than those captured by the normal distribution. Subsequently, the choice of copula and the choice of procedures for rare-event simulation govern the pricing of basket credit derivatives. An alternative to the Gaussian copula is Clayton copula and t-student copula under importance sampling procedures for simulation which captures the dependence structure between the underlying variables at extreme values and certain values of the input random variables in a simulation have more impact on the parameter being estimated than others .
|Date of creation:||Mar 2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andreas A. Jobst, 2002.
"Collateralized Loan Obligations (CLOs) – A Primer,"
Working Paper Series: Finance and Accounting
96, Department of Finance, Goethe University Frankfurt am Main.
- Jobst, Andreas A., 2002. "Collateralised loan obligations (CLOs): A primer," CFS Working Paper Series 2002/13, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Ericsson, Jan & Jacobs, Kris & Oviedo, Rodolfo, 2009. "The Determinants of Credit Default Swap Premia," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 44(01), pages 109-132, February.
- Ericsson, Jan & Jacobs, Kris & Oviedo-Helfenberger, Rodolfo, 2004. "The Determinants of Credit Default Swap Premia," SIFR Research Report Series 32, Institute for Financial Research.
- Jan Ericsson & Kris Jacobs & Rodolfo A. Oviedo, 2004. "The Determinants of Credit Default Swap Premia," CIRANO Working Papers 2004s-55, CIRANO.
- Hull, John & Predescu, Mirela & White, Alan, 2004. "The relationship between credit default swap spreads, bond yields, and credit rating announcements," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(11), pages 2789-2811, November.
- Fathi Abid & Nader Naifar, 2006. "Credit-default swap rates and equity volatility: a nonlinear relationship," Journal of Risk Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 7(4), pages 348-371, August. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:6014. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.