Sunk costs of consumer search: economic rationality of satisficing decision
The paper argues that sunk costs’ sensitivity can lead to the optimal consumption-leisure choice under price dispersion. The increase in quantity to be purchased with the extension of the time horizon of the consumption-leisure choice equalizes marginal costs of search with its marginal benefits. The implicit optimal choice results in the explicit satisficing decision. The transformation of cognitive mechanism of discouragement into satisficing happens only in the “common model” of consumer behavior. The paper argues that the cognitive mechanism of aspiration takes place when consumers try to get marginal savings on purchase greater than the wage rate and, therefore, they follow the “leisure model” of behavior where both the marginal utility of labor income and the marginal utility of consumption become negative.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2014|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stiglitz, J E, 1979. "Equilibrium in Product Markets with Imperfect Information," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(2), pages 339-345, May.
- Kogut, Carl A., 1990. "Consumer search behavior and sunk costs," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 381-392, December.
- Mark Aguiar & Erik Hurst, 2007.
"Life-Cycle Prices and Production,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 97(5), pages 1533-1559, December.
- Mark Aguiar & Erik Hurst, 2005. "Lifecycle Prices and Production," NBER Working Papers 11601, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sergey Malakhov, 2014. "Satisficing Decision Procedure and Optimal Consumption-Leisure Choice," International Journal of Social Science Research, Macrothink Institute, vol. 2(2), pages 138-151, September.
- Malakhov, Sergey, 2012. "Satisficing decision procedure and optimal consumption-leisure choice," MPRA Paper 38964, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sergey MALAKHOV, 2013. "Money Flexibility And Optimal Consumption-Leisure Choice Under Price Dispersion," Theoretical and Practical Research in Economic Fields, ASERS Publishing, vol. 0(1), pages 77-88, July.
- Malakhov, Sergey, 2013. "Money flexibility and optimal consumption-leisure choice under price dispersion," MPRA Paper 45197, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- S. Malakhov., 2003. "Transaction Costs, Economic Growth and Labor Supply," VOPROSY ECONOMIKI, N.P. Redaktsiya zhurnala "Voprosy Economiki", vol. 9. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)