Searching for the Relative Potency of Monetary and Fiscal Policies in Selected African Countries: A Panel Data Approach to St. Louis Equation
With the aid of the St. Louis equation, this study applies panel data technique to real variables of some selected African countries with extended data from 1970 – 2012. The outcomes support both Keynesian and monetarist positive policy assertions. The monetary base and government expenditure are viable instruments to stabilize output. The study, as well, finds that utilizing the monetary base as a policy tool is more potent than using government expenditure. This is in line with the predictions of Milton Friedman and Schwartz (1963) and other advocates of the St. Louis equation. Therefore, in order to attain higher output growth, these economies should rely more on monetary policy as compared with fiscal policy.
|Date of creation:||22 Dec 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pasaran, M.H. & Im, K.S. & Shin, Y., 1995.
"Testing for Unit Roots in Heterogeneous Panels,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
9526, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Hausman, Jerry A, 1978.
"Specification Tests in Econometrics,"
Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1251-71, November.
- Levin, Andrew & Lin, Chien-Fu & James Chu, Chia-Shang, 2002.
"Unit root tests in panel data: asymptotic and finite-sample properties,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 108(1), pages 1-24, May.
- Tom Doan, . "LEVINLIN: RATS procedure to perform Levin-Lin-Chu test for unit roots in panel data," Statistical Software Components RTS00242, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Gramlich, Edward M, 1971. "The Usefulness of Monetary and Fiscal Policy as Discretionary Stabilization Tools," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 3(2), pages 506-32, May.
- Frederic S. Mishkin, 1994.
"Preventing Financial Crises: An International Perspective,"
NBER Working Papers
4636, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mishkin, Frederic S, 1994. "Preventing Financial Crises: An International Perspective," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 62(0), pages 1-40, Suppl..
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:52420. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.