The Influence of Ordoliberalism in European Integration Processes - A Framework for Ideational Influence with Competition Policy and the Economic and Monetary Policy as Examples
How can one study the ideational influence of ordoliberalism on European integration processes? This is the overarching question answered in this paper where I propose a refined methodology, taking into account that the influence of ordoliberalism can vary over time and, more importantly, that its influence has to be measured on the backdrop of a detailed specification of the characteristics of ordoliberalism itself compared to the strongest ideational alternatives. I have carefully identified these alternatives as interventionism (competition policy), laissez-faire liberalism (competition policy), and Keynesianism (economic and monetary policy). I show the usability of my framework; however, I also point to the fact that more analyses are needed, especially where traces of ordoliberal influence does not seem likely to find.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Charles Wyplosz, 2006. "European Monetary Union: the dark sides of a major success," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 21(46), pages 207-261, April.
- Pinar Akman & Hussein Kassim, 2010. "Myths and Myth-Making in the European Union: The Institutionalization and Interpretation of EU Competition Policy," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48, pages 111-132, January.
- Mueller,Dennis C., 2003. "Public Choice III," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521894753, December.
- Blyth, Mark, 2013. "Austerity: The History of a Dangerous Idea," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199828302.
- Pierre Rosanvallon, 1987. "Histoire des idées keynésiennes en France," Revue Française d'Économie, Programme National Persée, vol. 2(4), pages 22-56.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:52331. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.