An optimal three-way stable and monotonic spectrum of bounds on quantiles: a spectrum of coherent measures of financial risk and economic inequality
A certain spectrum, indexed by a\in[0,\infty], of upper bounds P_a(X;x) on the tail probability P(X\geq x), with P_0(X;x)=P(X\geq x) and P_\infty(X;x) being the best possible exponential upper bound on P(X\geq x), is shown to be stable and monotonic in a, x, and X, where x is a real number and X is a random variable. The bounds P_a(X;x) are optimal values in certain minimization problems. The corresponding spectrum, also indexed by a\in[0,\infty], of upper bounds Q_a(X;p) on the (1-p)-quantile of X is stable and monotonic in a, p, and X, with Q_0(X;p) equal the largest (1-p)-quantile of X. In certain sense, the quantile bounds Q_a(X;p) are usually close enough to the true quantiles Q_0(X;p). Moreover, Q_a(X;p) is subadditive in X if a\geq 1, as well as positive-homogeneous and translation-invariant, and thus is a so-called coherent measure of risk. A number of other useful properties of the bounds P_a(X;x) and Q_a(X;p) are established. In particular, quite similarly to the bounds P_a(X;x) on the tail probabilities, the quantile bounds Q_a(X;p) are the optimal values in certain minimization problems. This allows for a comparatively easy incorporation of the bounds P_a(X;x) and Q_a(X;p) into more specialized optimization problems. It is shown that the minimization problems for which P_a(X;x) and Q_a(X;p) are the optimal values are in a certain sense dual to each other; in the case a=\infty this corresponds to the bilinear Legendre--Fenchel duality. In finance, the (1-p)-quantile Q_0(X;p) is known as the value-at-risk (VaR), whereas the value of Q_1(X;p) is known as the conditional value-at-risk (CVaR) and also as the expected shortfall (ES), average value-at-risk (AVaR), and expected tail loss (ETL). It is shown that the quantile bounds Q_a(X;p) can be used as measures of economic inequality. The spectrum parameter, a, may be considered an index of sensitivity to risk/inequality.
|Date of creation:||22 Oct 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marc Hallin & Jean-Marie Dufour, 1993.
"Improved Eaton bounds for linear combinations of bounded random variables, with statistical applications,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/2043, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Dufour, J.M. & Hallin, M., 1992. "Improved Eaton Bounds for Linear Combinations of Bounded Random Variables with Statistical Applications," Cahiers de recherche 9224, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Dufour, J.M. & Hallin, M., 1992. "Improved Eaton Bounds for Linear Combinations of Bounded Random Variables with Statistical Applications," Cahiers de recherche 9224, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Dufour, J-M. & Hallin, M., 1990. "Improved Eaton Bounds for Linear Combinations of Bounded Random Variables , with Statistical Applications," Papers 9104, Universite Libre de Bruxelles - C.E.M.E..
- Enrico De Giorgi, .
"Reward-Risk Portfolio Selection and Stochastic Dominance,"
IEW - Working Papers
121, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- De Giorgi, Enrico, 2005. "Reward-risk portfolio selection and stochastic dominance," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 895-926, April.
- Yitzhaki, Shlomo, 1982. "Stochastic Dominance, Mean Variance, and Gini's Mean Difference," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(1), pages 178-85, March.
- Carlo Acerbi & Dirk Tasche, 2002. "Expected Shortfall: A Natural Coherent Alternative to Value at Risk," Economic Notes, Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena SpA, vol. 31(2), pages 379-388, 07.
- Philippe Delquié & Alessandra Cillo, 2006. "Disappointment without prior expectation: a unifying perspective on decision under risk," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 33(3), pages 197-215, December.
- A. Atkinson, 2008. "More on the measurement of inequality," The Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer;Society for the Study of Economic Inequality, vol. 6(3), pages 277-283, September.
- Alessandra Cillo & Philippe Delquié, 2013.
"Mean-Risk Analysis with Enhanced Behavioral Content,"
498, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Cillo, Alessandra & Delquié, Philippe, 2014. "Mean-risk analysis with enhanced behavioral content," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 239(3), pages 764-775.
- Atkinson, Anthony B., 1970. "On the measurement of inequality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 244-263, September.
- Rockafellar, R. Tyrrell & Uryasev, Stanislav, 2002. "Conditional value-at-risk for general loss distributions," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(7), pages 1443-1471, July.
- Philippe Artzner & Freddy Delbaen & Jean-Marc Eber & David Heath, 1999. "Coherent Measures of Risk," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(3), pages 203-228.
- Fishburn, Peter C., 1980. "Continua of stochastic dominance relations for unbounded probability distributions," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 271-285, December.
- Acerbi, Carlo, 2002. "Spectral measures of risk: A coherent representation of subjective risk aversion," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(7), pages 1505-1518, July.
- Yaari, Menahem E, 1987. "The Dual Theory of Choice under Risk," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(1), pages 95-115, January.
- Fishburn, Peter C, 1977. "Mean-Risk Analysis with Risk Associated with Below-Target Returns," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(2), pages 116-26, March.
- R. Rockafellar & Stan Uryasev & Michael Zabarankin, 2006. "Generalized deviations in risk analysis," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 10(1), pages 51-74, 01.
- Fishburn, Peter C., 1976. "Continua of stochastic dominance relations for bounded probability distributions," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 295-311, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:51361. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.