Performance Measurement And Evaluation
This chapter discusses methods and techniques for measuring and evaluating performance for the purpose of controlling the investment process. However, many of the methods discussed in this chapter are also used in communicating investment performance between the investment management company and it’s (potential) customers. Therefore, performance measurements also play an important role in the competition between investments management companies. Substantial evidence from the net sales of mutual funds shows that investors buy mutual funds with good past performance records although they fail to sell funds with bad past performance.
|Date of creation:||26 Sep 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chevalier, Judith & Ellison, Glenn, 1997.
"Risk Taking by Mutual Funds as a Response to Incentives,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 105(6), pages 1167-1200, December.
- Judith A. Chevalier & Glenn D. Ellison, 1995. "Risk Taking by Mutual Funds as a Response to Incentives," NBER Working Papers 5234, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chevalier, J. & Ellison, G., 1996. "Risk Taking by Mutual Funds as a Response to Incentives," Working papers 96-3, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Elton, Edwin J. & Gruber, Martin J., 1992. "Optimal investment strategies with investor liabilities," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 869-890, September.
- Henriksson, Roy D & Merton, Robert C, 1981. "On Market Timing and Investment Performance. II. Statistical Procedures for Evaluating Forecasting Skills," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 54(4), pages 513-33, October.
- Peter O. Dietz, 1968. "Components Of A Measurement Model: Rate Of Return, Risk, And Timing," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 23(2), pages 267-275, 05.
- Diane Del Guercio & Paula A. Tkac, 2000. "The determinants of the flow of funds of managed portfolios: mutual funds versus pension funds," Working Paper 2000-21, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Erik R. Sirri & Peter Tufano, 1998. "Costly Search and Mutual Fund Flows," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(5), pages 1589-1622, October.
- Auke Plantinga & Robert van der Meer, 1995. "Liability-driven Performance Attribution," The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance - Issues and Practice, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 20(1), pages 16-29, January.
- Guercio, Diane Del & Tkac, Paula A., 2002. "The Determinants of the Flow of Funds of Managed Portfolios: Mutual Funds vs. Pension Funds," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 37(04), pages 523-557, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:5048. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.